Last week In invited some local bloggers to my house for a Fakesgiving. We all brought some of our favorite Thanksgiving recipes to share with you! I’ll be sharing mine all week and Friday we’ll all link to the rest of the recipes so you can enjoy everything we made!
I love Mashed Potatoes, seriously, soooo good. And so easy to make! So they were an easy choice for me to make. Did you know that there are over 40,000 monthly searches of “how to make mashed potatoes”??? Who knew! So I’m happy to share the way I make them with you guys today!
First up, Potatoes. I prefer Gold potatoes. I think they have a better flavor, BUT be wary with mixing them. Because they have a higher moisture content they boil well, the danger is they easily turn to a glue like texture with over mixing. So if you like to really mix your mashed potatoes super smooth go with russet potatoes. You can beat them without that issue, but steam them instead of boiling them so they don’t fall apart.
So I boil my gold potatoes and then drain them. I mix all the other ingredients together (before adding the potatoes) then pour the potatoes on top, mix a few times and scoop them into a serving bowl. There are usually some small chunks but I think the gold potatoes flavor are worth it.
You can of course leave the skin on (but scrub them good) I personally don’t like skins, and neither do my kids, so I peel them first. My husband loves the skins though so every once in awhile I’ll leave them on for a batch just for him.
- 9-10 Golden potatoes because they are small I do 1 1/2 per person
- 4-6 Tbsp butter softened about 1/2 Tbsp per potato
- 1/2 C full fat sour cream
- 2-5 cloves garlic crushed optional
- 1 1/2-2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Golden potatoes have a lot more moisture so you need to add less than you would with russet potatoes.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into even pieces. Then boil them in water (salted) about 15 mins. then drain.
- While they are draining beat the rest of the ingredients together. Then add the potatoes and mix, slightly. I use my pulse button, twice, scraping inbetween.
- scoop into a bowl and serve