1. Bake your cake from scratch.
Okay, okay, I know I’m unusual in my baking from scratch all the time thing. So here are some great box mix tips!
1. Use Betty Crocker cake mixes
2. Add just a little more oil to the recipe (mounding over cup)
3. Use parchment paper in the bottom of the pan and Bakers Joy
4. Use “Bake even strips” or a pan filled with water while baking.
5. Cook at a slightly lower temperature for longer.
6. Cook until done (pulls away from sides of pan and toothpick comes out clean)
7. Let cool upside down on cooking rack, to help flatten a center mound (keep pan on for 10 mins)
Tip’s for a moist cake
1. After the cake is baked I let it cool for about 10 mins, then as soon as I can stand to handle it I wrap it in a few layers of plastic wrap and put it in the freezer to cool. I do this so that instead of all the steam leaving the cake while it cools it’s trapped inside, creating a super moist cake. Leave it in about 8 hours, until it’s cool to the touch.
2. NEVER refrigerate a cake, it dries it out.
3. Let cake thaw entirely before Icing otherwise as it thaws water droplets will condense on the side, ruining all the work you just did! Not pretty!
Tips for carving cake.
1. Make a dense cake, like pound cake, and always from scratch.
2. Wrap and freeze the cake (to hold in moisture, but also for carving) let it thaw out slightly before starting to carve your cake. This way you won’t carve too much at a time, and won’t loose to much to crumbs.
3. Let it thaw completely to frost.
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020