We love pizza night at our house. And the kids love to make their own, since they all like different toppings they love it when we make individual pizza’s, but sometimes we just don’t have time for that. But to make a fun change, no matter what the toppings are, we sometimes make stuffed crust! It’s super easy and tastes great!
I know a lot of people prefer using full string cheese sticks, but personally I don’t love that much cheese in my crust. So we cut the string cheese in half lengthwise. Brush the outside inch or so with water, then place the half string cheese around the outside of the crust. Wrap the crust around the cheese pressing the wet edge, making sure to seal it so the cheese doesn’t break through.
Then add your toppings and bake according to your pizza dough instructions. This time I tried a new recipe, Chicken Fajita pizza (a guest post over at cupcake diaries, check it out, it’s seriously SO good!) It was a HUGE hit with my husband, I think he ate an entire pizza himself! It has great, unexpected, flavor that just really hit the spot!
When you take it out of the oven you can cut and serve right away (that will give you the runny cheese in the crust) or let it cool a bit. It’s easier to handle but the string cheese in the crust does get firm quickly (like mozzarella sticks tend to do) it’s delicious both ways! Notice it’s not too full? that’s the half a string cheese, if you use a FULL string cheese in the crust you’ll end up with a HUGE crust/amt of cheese. So if you love mozzarella crust go for it!
This stuffed crust pizza works with any pizza you want. My kids love it with basic cheese or pepperoni, and I enjoy it with my Chicken Alfredo pizza too! And don’t forget to check out the Chicken Fajita pizza recipe I have over at Cupcake Diaries today! What are your favorite pizza toppings? I’m always looking for new toppings to mix pizza night up!
Stuffed crust pizza
- 2 C warm water
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4+ C bread flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 8 string cheese cut in half lengthwise
- Add the yeast, sugar, and warm water to a mixing bowl with a dough hook and let bloom for 5-10 mins
- Add the olive oil and blend
- add 3 C of the bread flour and mix until smooth
- add 1/4 C of flour at a time and mix until the dough has cleaned the sides of the bowl – it will be different depending on the altitude and humidity – it’s about getting the right feel – don’t add too much flour!
- knead another 5 mins in the mixer or by hand
- Cover your mixer bowl and let the dough rise for 1 1/2 hours (or if hand kneading add the dough to a greased bowl and cover)
- Knock down your dough and pull out of the bowl
- divide into 2 and roll out two 14 inch rounds
- lay the cut cheese sticks around the edge of the crust, about 1/2 inch from the edge
- brush the outside edge of the crust with water and wrap the crust around the cheese and press to seal
- Place a pizza stone in the oven, preheat to 425
- Prick the dough
- Top with your favorite sauce, toppings and cheese
- Bake 12 mins until the center is cooked through