We love love LOVE pizza at our house. We make it at least once a week! It’s one of those foods that everyone can agree on. Although not everyone can agree on the toppings so we tend to have a pizza bar, placing a ton of toppings out and let everyone create half a pizza!
Every pizza begins with a great pizza crust! This is my go too, and I’ve been making it for years. It’s amazing how easy it is to make and how delicious it is! Personally I like to double bake my pizza dough. The reason for this is I don’t like to over bake the toppings. I find that the full length of baking the crust over melts the cheese and drys out the toppings. Maybe it’s just me – personal preference.
I actually use a pizza stone both in my oven and in my grill! Make sure you don’t get it wet and make sure to place it in the oven before you preheat it. Mine was a wedding gift, and it’s stained and kinda rough looking but it still works and is wonderful for getting a crisp crust.
In the summer I like to grill the pizzas!!!! If your grilling your pizza you’ll heat to medium high, then place the dough on the grill and close the lid. Cook the first side for 2-4 mins, then flip it. Then add your sauce, toppings and cheese, working quickly. Close the lid and cook another 2-4 mins!
Pizza Dough Recipe
- 2 C warm water
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4+ C bread flour
- 2 tsp salt
- Add the yeast, sugar, and warm water to a mixing bowl with a dough hook and let bloom for 5-10 mins
- Add the olive oil and blend
- add 3 C of the bread flour and mix until smooth
- add 1/4 C of flour at a time and mix until the dough has cleaned the sides of the bowl - it will be different depending on the altitude and humidity - it's about getting the right feel - don't add too much flour!
- knead another 5 mins in the mixer or by hand
- Cover your mixer bowl and let the dough rise for 1 1/2 hours (or if hand kneading add the dough to a greased bowl and cover)
- Knock down your dough and pull out of the bowl
- divide into 2 and roll out two 12 inch rounds
- Place a pizza stone in the oven, preheat to 425
- Prick the dough
- Top with your favorite sauce, toppings and cheese
- Bake 7-10 mins until the center is cooked through
So what are your favorite pizza combinations? Check out my favorite, Chicken Alfredo Pizza, over at Today’s Creative blog!
Latest posts by Ashlee Marie (see all)
- How to Make Tamales Instructions, Recipe and Video Tutorial - November 15, 2019
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie – made from a fresh pumpkin - November 14, 2019
- Thanksgiving Make and Take OREO Cookie Balls Party – Pumpkin pops - November 13, 2019