This recipe is FANTASTIC. I’ve been experimenting with different Mac and cheese recipe ideas for the last year. This is by far the best, AND I have to say the addition of the mustard is actually really nice, and I wouldn’t have tried it without this contest, so I’m so glad I did!
Mustard Mac and Cheese recipe
- 1/4 C butter
- 1/3 C all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 8 oz Gruyere grated some extra for sprinkling on top
- 6 oz cheddar grated some extra for sprinkling on top
- 2 ounces Monterey Jack grated
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 2 lbs penne slightly under cooked by 2 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Butter an 8x13 baking dish (or smaller individual dishes) - this doesn't count as the butter in the recipe.
- Melt the butter and whisk in the flour.
- Add the milk and cook until the sauce thickens, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and slowly add the cheese, stirring well.
- Then add the salt, chili powder, mustard and garlic powder.
- Stir until everything is melted and all ingredients are incorporated.
- Mix the sauce with the under cooked penne, pour into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the cheeses over the top along with a bit of the chipotle powder for some color.
- Bake for 15 mins and serve.
I’ve made it 3 times now and I love it more each time. My kids, who are kraft mac and cheese fans, even like it! it’s the first from scratch Mac and cheese they’ve liked (although they did point out that’s PENNE and cheese, not mac and cheese). It’s great as a side, by itself or it’s great with sauteed veggies!
JOIN MY NEWSLETTER!
Become an insider and receive this FREE Maple Icing Recipe (not seen on the blog!)
That looks so yummy! I really, really, REALLY hope you win the contest. I wish there was more I could do to help… Well, I’ll do what I can do and vote every day. Thanks for posting these recipes!
Awww thank you so much! you are so sweet. I appreciate every single vote so much!