I know I know… yet another maple bacon recipe. But it was between this and a pumpkin waffle recipe, which two of the other gals made so I figured this was a better way to go than another repeat. And let me tell you… AMAZING, even my husband loved then and he isn’t into my maple bacon craze.
I think the biggest difference between mine and other is that I always use candied bacon. The sugary coating keeps the bacon crisp, not soggy or chewy, in recipes, and, well… sugary coating??? deliciousness. And not only did I put maple in the batter but I topped the whole thing with maple whipped cream, mmmmm.
- Wisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt
- in another bowl whisk together the eggs, butter, milk and extract
- Pour the wet mixture over dry mixture and blend until pebbled.
- You can add the bacon to the mix or sprinkle it on top of the batter once it's in the machine.
- Cook in preheated waffle iron 3-4 mins. Until the smoking stops.
- serve with more bacon and maple whipped cream
For adding the bacon, you can add it right on top of the batter and that will keep it crisp, but it will also cook a bit more, so I used the less cooked centers versus the outer edges (I saved those for topping).
You can also add the bacon into the batter if that’s easier, but I don’t like it when the additions fall to the bottom and I don’t get it evenly through the waffles. So sprinkling works best for me.
I often wonder how my crazy new recipes will go over with the kiddo’s… This one was a HUGE hit! Princess (who has decided she doesn’t eat anything that came from a pig) everyone loved it. The whipped cream was gone pretty fast, I’ll make a bigger batch next time I think! Baby Boy especially loved the cream, he just nibbled on the waffles, while The Reader finished off the Bacon!
Do not miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email