I’ve made my love of liege waffles perfectly clear. I have the Traditional Liege waffles, the Coconut, a Pumpkin one and I’m working on a few other flavors. But bringing it back to the classic traditional, sometimes you have to dress it up. For my birthday this year we ran by a waffle truck (so I wouldn’ t have ot make my own) and one of the things they offered was “the sunshine” – Lemon curd, whipped cream, raspberries… I HAD to try it… AND I fell in LOVE
I seriously only eat my liege waffles this way now! Now I understand not EVERYONE is a lemon lover, You can totally stick with the classic whipped cream and strawberries, or go crazy and add some cookie butter or nutella… BUT if you LOVE lemon like me you have GOT to try this! THANKFULLY my kids are also lemon lovers!
To help you out here is a video on how to make lieve waffles! As you can see they are totally simple, the only thing is the TIME involved with all the rises, but personally I LIKE making doughs and stuff the night before to make it easier to put together recipes like this for a crowd!
lemon curd raspberries liege waffle recipe
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 C lemon juice
- 2 lrg eggs
- 1 lrg egg yolk
- 1/2 C granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter cut into 1/2-inch cubes and chilled
- 1 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- pinch salt
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 3/4 C whole milk warmed, 110-115 degrees
- 2 lrg eggs slightly beaten
- 5 C Bread flour
- 3 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C butter softened
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 C belgian pearl sugar not Swedish pearl sugar
- Stabilized Whipped Cream
- heat the lemon zest and lemon juice in small saucepan over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Whisk the eggs, yolk and sugar in a bowl
- Whisking constantly, slowly pour hot juice into eggs, then return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until mixture registers 170 degrees F
- Stir in the butter, cream and salt
- Cover surface of curd directly with plastic wrap; refrigerate until needed.
- Place yeast, sugar and milk into your mixer and proof yeast 5-10 mins
- Add the egg and 1 1/2 C of the flour, mix until it's smooth
- Sprinkle remaining 2 1/2 C flour over the mixture, to keep the dough from getting crusty. cover the bowl and let rise 90 mins
- Add brown sugar and salt and blend on low to medium-low speed. While mixing add the honey and vanilla.
- add butter 2 Tbsp at a time.
- Mix 4 minutes at medium-low speed, let the dough rest for 1 minute and then continue to mix for 2 minutes, then rest, repeat until the dough balls up on the hook.
- Cover and let rise for 4 hours.
- Then knock the dough down, I just use my dough hook to quickly get the dough down.
- wrap the dough in plastic wrap, 2-3 times around
- place in a bowl or pan and weigh it down a bit and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, place the cold dough (it will be quite firm) on a slightly floured surface and knead in ALL the Belgian sugar (a little bit at a time).
- Once mixed, divide the dough into 13 pieces of equal size.
- squeeze each chunk into an ball and let it rise for 90 minutes.
- Cook in a waffle iron for about 4 mins at 360 degrees (see note for regular waffle iron)
- Give each waffle a few minutes to cool slightly before eating. that sugar melted on the outside is HOT!!!! I serve mine with fresh whipped cream and strawberries, but they are also good stuffed with dark chocolate, or served with with bananas, blue berries, nutella, cookie butter, ice cream, or plain with some powdered sugar!
This lemon curd is AMAZING, it’s the same base curd I used for my blood orange tart on The Food Network. I also have a raspberry curd tart coming out in a few weeks with this same base, it’s terrific and hard to mess up, which is always good in a “fancy” recipe like curd! I could literally bath in this stuff and be fat and happy (although sticky).
Latest posts by Ashlee Marie (see all)
- Homemade Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons – recipe video - January 19, 2020
- Red Velvet Cupcakes - January 16, 2020
- Creamy Chicken Penne Rustica Pasta Copycat Recipe and video - January 14, 2020