I’ve been making my own homemade peeps for 8 years now! They are so so SO easy and seriously SO DELICIOUS! These little guys are only 4 ingredients and just take a little time and voila, the most delicious peeps you will ever have!
Making your own marshmallow is easier than you’d think! This recipe is just a normal marshmallow but instead of pouring it into a pan and letting it set you pipe it into the classic chick shape!
To get the color you can just buy colored sugar for the peeps, OR you can easily make your own. I wanted UBER bright yellow and to get such a large amount of colored sugar can be expensive so it was simply easier (and cheaper) to make my own. PLUS just thing of all the fun you can have creating some pretty awesome shades of sugar to personalize your peeps!
Tips and tricks for making homemade peeps
- Don’t skimp on the beating time – you want to make sure your beating a lot of air into the cooked sugar to get light and fluffy marshmallows
- once it’s thick and white you don’t want to pipe the shapes right away – it’s super warm and runny still and you’ll just end up with a puddle – wait and let it cool and start to “set” a bit first
- start by piping the base of the peeps – and do a few sets of 5 – if it’s still a little warm and here it’s okay – then start with the body – if it’s too droopy just wait a few mins and try again – the first 3 or so peeps I make are always a little droopy until I hit the perfect temp/set stage
- once you have it right don’t hesitate – pipe and pipe fast – once I took too long and the marshmallow set in the piping bag – I had a cone shaped marshmallow! Delicious but not what I was going for!
I've been making my own homemade peeps for 8 years now! They are so so SO easy and seriously SO DELICIOUS! These little guys are only 4 ingredients and just take a little time and voila, the most delicious peeps you will ever have!
- 3 C granulated sugar
- yellow gel food dye
- Pour sugar into a food processor
- Add a few drops of the yellow, grind until sugar is bright yellow, but not so much it turns into a powder
- spread sugar across a cookie sheet on parchment paper and place in an oven on low, keep stirring the sugar, you just want to dry it out a bit (the gel dye can make it too wet)
- Soak the gelatin in the 1/3 of a cup of cold water in a small bowl and set aside to swell for 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan dissolve the sugar in the 1 1/2 C of water over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Add the swollen gelatin and dissolve.
- Raise the temperature and bring to a boil.
- Boil steadily, but not vigorously, for 15 minutes without stirring.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly - 5 mins
- Pour into a bowl, or mixer and add the vanilla and beat the mixture until very thick and white.
spread out 1/2 the yellow sugar on a pan
using a large round tip and piping bag pipe a long oval about 1 inch wide and 2 inches long - pull away quickly to make the tail
repeat doing 4-5 right next to each other slightly touching - make a few more sets
holding the piping bag straight up and down pipe a large circle onto the rounded end of the oval
when it's about as wide a the oval start raising your piping tip as you go but lowering the pressure creating a pyramid of marshmallow - then at the end tilt the bag by 90 degrees and stop squeezing, pull away from the mound creating the head and beak, pinch off.
cover the marshmallows in more yellow sugar before they set
use the black dye and a toothpick to dot the eyes on
EASY PEASY, right? Like I mentioned in the tips above it’s okay if the first few peeps are more droopy than the later ones. This is another reason not to make like a double or triple batch at once, hard to get them all piped in that window of perfect texture! Seriously it might take a few tries, but it’s worth it!
And FINALLY for the eyes you can either use a toothpick or paintbrush to add some melted chocolate or some black gel food coloring. Now tear apart and enjoy!
Do NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a very small percentage.