It’s winter here in Utah which means cold days and lots of snow. I love ending the day with a large bowl of clam chowder with cornbread on the side. This recipe is one I grew up with, my mom made it all the time and now I do. It cooks up pretty quickly and I always have the ingredients on hand. Even my kids like this soup. Personally I’m always a fan of soups and other comfort foods.
I mean really – does it get any better than than a warm filling bowl of chowder on a cold day? I think NOT! and it takes about an hour to make (more if your filming, less if your not – HA). Growing up my mom always added 2 can’s of chopped clams, but I find that I like even MORE clam flavor so I switched from water to clam juice AND minced (smaller) to chopped clams.
Also I like to add bacon, bacon makes everything better, right? But you can leave it out for a more authentic clam chowder if you want. If you don’t have half and half you can always create your own, with half milk half cream. Honestly it’s what I usually do since I always have cream and milk and rarely have half and half in the fridge.
What is your favorite meal on a cold day? Soups, chili’s and chowders are my go to, easy, one pot, and always a great excuse to make breads too. Do you have a favorite soup recipe you make all the time? I’m always looking for new soups to make!
- 2 Lrg onions diced
- olive oil
- 5-6 big potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 6.5 oz Can crushed clams
- 16 oz Clam Juice
- 3/4 C butter
- 3/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1 pint half and half
- 1/2 jar bacon bits optional
- shredded cheddar
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot saute the onions, potatoes and celery until the onions are golden
- add the jars of clam juice and the juice from the can of clams (reserving the clams for later)
- then add enough water to cover vegetables and a dash of salt Boil.
- In small pot (while the vegetables are boiling) melt butter
- add the flour and stir to paste.
- Add the half and half and stir over medium heat until it's thick.
- When the vegetables are cooked through, about 15 mins add the cream sauce to the big pot.
- Add the clams, bacon bits and pepper to taste.
- The longer you let the chowder simmer the better the flavor.
- Serve the chowder with the cheddar, extra bacon bits and cornbread.
Do NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a very small percentage.