I love oatmeal! It’s one of my favorite breakfasts. My family makes something we call Oat-ole (that I’ll share one of these days, when I finally get a good picture of it, do you KNOW how hard it is to take a pretty picture of a bowl of tan mush?). My favorite chocolate chip cookies are made with ground oatmeal. AND it’s especially good with CHOCOLATE, Mmmmmm!
These oatmeal bars are a family favorite at our house, I’ll make a pan and it’s gone in a day. I usually cut them even smaller than this so that my kids and husband take all day to eat them, not a few hours. This is a great dessert to make for a platter to take to a party or other gathering cause they stack easily aren’t too messy and taste great!
This is a year round treat for me, a great treat I can make last min because we always have the ingredients around. The kids love helping pat the dough into the pan too, so it can be a fun family activity too! Do you have a favorite treat you enjoy making with your family? Or a great recipe you make year round (so many treats have a seasonal feel)?
Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
- 1 C butter softened
- 2 C packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 C oats
- 2 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 12 oz chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C chopped pecans
- preheat the oven to 350
- in your mixer beat the butter and brown sugar.
- Add the eggs and mix.
- then add the oats, flour, salt, soda and vanilla and mix completely.
- Press 2/3rds of the dough into the bottom of a large jelly roll pan (11x17 pan)
- In a saucepan melt the sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips and butter.
- Once it's melted add the vanilla, salt and pecans then pour over the flattened dough.
- Take the last 1/3rd of the dough and break it up, press a small section of it flat and lay it onto the chocolate layer
- Bake 20-25 mins until the top starts to turn golden