Kay you guys KNOW I love breakfast foods, and last year I shared my BEST EVER french toast. While it’s GREAT with any bread, seriously, I love love LOVE making a batch of this homemade cinnamon swirl bread JUST for french toast!
Let’s face it, it doesn’t get much better than fresh carbs in ANY for! Fresh bread not only smells great, but tastes amazing, just melt in your mouth! So adding a swirl of pretty much anything is going to be a hit. Something about cinnamon in carbs is always a win win.
I love bread that’s easy and is hard to mess up. This dough is pretty strong, easy to make and JUST the right balance. It’s not super soft, but not too dense, and JUST the right amount of cinnamon without being a sweet or dessert bread.
- 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/8 C water
- 3 C All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 6 Tbsp butter room temperature
- 1/4 C nonfat dry milk
- 1/2 C instant mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1 lrg egg slightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp water
- Mix the water, sugar and yeast in your mixer (with a dough hook)
- Let it sit for 15 mins, it will bubble and expand
- Now add in everything else and begin to mix
- The dough will be sticky at first but after awhile the dough hooks will do it's job, the dough will come together and start to ball up.
- Lightly oil a bowl and place the dough inside, cover with a damp dishtowel
- Allow it to double in size, it will be around an hour, but depending on your humidity (or lack) and elevation it could be a little less or more.
- Once it's doubled divide the dough and place on a lightly greased surface and pat each half out to a 6x8 rectangle
- Beat the egg and water together and brush it over the dough (you won't use it all)
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon and flour, sprinkle over the dough generously.
- Start on one 6 inch side roll the dough up
- Pinch it closed
- Prepare two loaf pans, I like to use Bakers Joy
- Place the dough, seam side down in the pan
- Cover with a bit of greased saran wrap (again, I just spray it with bakers joy)
- Let them rise until it's about an inch above the pan, about an hour
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Bake the bread 40-45 mins. After the first 15 mins cover it loosely with aluminum foil to keep it from getting too brown.
- Let cool and slice!
You can leave the foil on as long as you want, I wanted a softer top crust so I left it on longer, if you want a beautiful brown crust take it off earlier. I MIGHT roll it out a LITTLE thinner next time to get just a little bit more of a cinnamon spiral going, but honestly it’s perfect just the way it is! Enjoy!
It makes great toast too… my kids are toast lovers with vanilla sugar on top. So I always make a few loafs ever time so there are a few slices left for toast, AFTER the french toast of course! Cut it thick or thin, it’s delicious either way… What’s YOUR favorite breakfast?Do NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a very small percentage.