I love shortbread cookies. But as a kid I thought they were a boring cookie, the only reason to eat one is because it was shaped like the girlscout logo, right? My mom got a box of Walkers shortbread cookies every Christmas as a “treat” I was like, WHAT? BUT as an adult I LOVE them. The subtle flavor, great crunch, and buttery goodness.. Mmmmm
As I’ve made various “fancy” recipes over the years I’ve found I like it simple and classic, no extra flavorings or fillers. 3 ingredients of goodness. BUT instead of regular sugar I swap it for brown sugar, it’s subtle but AMAZING! No seriously, this is my go too recipe for a subtle sweet treat and I ALWAYS have the ingredients at home!
I love these with hot chocolate AND, of course, when I want to take it from Mmmm to Ahhhh I dip them in chocolate. Let’s face it, I dip almost everything in chocolate. The chocolate dresses them up for serving on pretty plates! This recipe also makes a GREAT base for a fruit tart, or base for homemade twix, seriously to die for.
Brown Sugar Shortbread Cookies
- 1 C butter softened
- 3/4 C packed light brown sugar
- 2 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In your mixer beat butter until fluffy.
- Add brown sugar and mix well.
- Add flour and mix just until a dough forms
- Knead until smooth.
- Spread into a 9-inch square pan, pressing down firmly or pat 1/3-in.-thick rectangle measuring 11 in. x 8 in
- Create as smooth a surface as possible for pretty cookies
- Score dough lightly with a knife, marking where you'll cut your cookies.
- Pierce the dough with a fork, if desired (it's pretty).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until shortbread is lightly browned all over.
- While the shortbread is still hot, use a sharp knife to cut shortbread all the way through along the lines you scored prior to baking.
- Allow shortbread to cool completely once it has been cut.
- When cool, shortbread pieces should break apart very easily.
- Store in an airtight container.
- *optional - dip in melted dark chocolate, Mmmmm
Ohhhh I also use these to eat my buttery caramel sauce straight of the jar, oh YEAH! Do you have a treat you didn’t love as a child but do now as an adult? Do you have a favorite recipe you like to swap out the sugar for brown sugar?
Neighbor gifts and goodie plate recipes
[riview showtitle=always id=14 name=recipes tags=gifts size=150x150 lightbox=0]