I am SO excited it’s August… know why? It’s National BACON MONTH! did you know??? Guess what! I’m making a ton of bacon recipes this month, AND so are some of my favorite food bloggers so check out below for links AND entry into some great giveaways!
Can I just say I LOVE bacon! I have a ton of recipes already but I wanted to come up with ones different from what I already make all the time. So when I was wondering around the grocery store the other day the spaghetti squash caught me eye. I haven’t had one in years (I used to crave them when I was pregnant with my boys – but like any pregnancy craving I went a little overboard) and I thought – oh THAT would be good with bacon… and I was right!
AND since you add the sauce and bacon right to the spaghetti squash (boat style) you get less dishes messy. In fact I made the sauce in the same Lodge 12 inch seasoned steel skillet as I cooked the bacon for an even better flavor (and again less mess!)
- 1 Spaghetti squash
- 10 slices bacon
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp fresh crushed garlic optional
- 1 C whole milk
- 1/2 C heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 C Parmesan freshly grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- dash pepper
- preheat the oven to 375
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and place open side down on a baking pan
- bake for 40 mins
- chop the bacon and fry in a 12 inch seasoned skillet
- scoop out the bacon and drain on a paper towel
- pour the bacon grease out but keep 2 Tbsp in the pan
- add the flour and stir, into a roux - it will darken to the color of a penny, if you like garlic I recommend adding it once it starts to darken.
- add the milk and cream and keep stirring until it's thick
- take off the heat and add the Parmesan, salt and pepper
- when the squash is done flip over and take a fork and shred the inside of the squash
- split the alfredo between the two halfs of the spaghetti squash
- sprinkle the bacon on each half and sprinkles some extra Parmesan on top as well.
- place back in the oven for 10-15 mins
- stir the squash, sauce and bacon and serve warm
I knew I’d like it (and I did) but I was worried my pasta loving kids wouldn’t care for it, BUT it was a HUGE hit even with them! Well the older three, the two younger ones don’t like anything these days though so they don’t really count! I seriously went out and bought a second spaghetti squash just to make it again already.
I went fairly heavy on the bacon, I’m a fan, but you don’t have to if your not as obsessed as I am!
And now it’s time for more bacon recipes! I’m only participating in 4 days this month, but some of the 12 bloggers participating are sharing recipes every tuesday and friday all month long! So check this post out to keep up to date on ALL the bacon month recipes!