This almond poppy seed cake is soft, spongy and has an amazing flavor! It makes a great bundt cake and is delicious topped with some easy cream cheese frosting!
How I created this almond poppy seed bundt cake
I have always loved almond poppy seed – never got into the lemon poppy seed even thought I adore lemon! Probably because I grew up on almond poppy seed muffins!
This recipe could easily be a quick bread, or as poppy seed muffins too. In fact during the live stream recipe video I did of this cake I used the batter to make an almond poppy seed sheet cake – divine!!
Since this cake has enough flavor to stand alone with out a ton of filling it makes a GREAT bundt cake.
Just take me to the bundt cake recipe already!
If you’d rather skip my tips and tricks for making a bundt cake, along with links to other cake recipe links and get straight to this delicious almond poppy seed cake – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
What do you top a bundt cake with?
Glaze or frosting seem to be the most popular options. I use a coconut syrup glaze on this coconut bundt cake. That cake is super rich (esp with the cheesecake filling) so the glaze worked out GREAT
This cake is pretty light and spongy so I figured a frosting would be better. And what is the best frosting ever? Cream Cheese frosting!!!!
I like this rich flavorful frosting more than something that’s super sugary and sweet, I don’t think buttercream would be the best option for this cake.
How do you get a bundt cake out of the pan?
I’ve tried it all – a spray, a goop and butter/flour. Honestly they all work! it’s just a matter putting enough on. That’s what most people do wrong – getting it too thin to really work
For a spray I like Bakers Joy, for a homemade goop I use this one from I am Baker – either option make sure you really get a nice thick coating!
Also – a quality bundt cake pan! I was surprised when I went from a cheap pan I bought at a garage sale to a brand new quality pan – it make a huge difference to have one with good metal and no scratches!!!
Almond poppy seed bundt cake recipe
If you love sheet cakes as much as I do, I’d love a 5 star review. Be sure to share on social media and tag me if you make it @ashleemariecakes! If you want to stay updated on new recipes sign up for my newsletter and join my Facebook Group!
If you love quick and easy recipes you’ll love these other cake recipes
To watch me make this almond poppy seed bundt cake in a live cooking show play the video in the recipe card (if you’re on desktop, the short teaser video should be auto playing for you).
You can find all my cooking show style recipe videos on YouTube, or my short recipe videos on Facebook Watch, or my Facebook Page, or right here on our website with their corresponding recipes.
Almond Poppy seed Bundt cake recipe and video
- 3 eggs
- 2 C granulated sugar
- 3 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 Tbsp almond extract
- 1 tsp butter emulsion
- 1 1/2 C whole milk
- 1 C olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 8 oz full fat cream cheese
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Tbsp clear vanilla
- 2 1/2 C Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream depending on how soft you want your frosting
- preheat oven to 350
- hand whisk the eggs and sugar
- add the flour, baking powder and salt and beat
- add the vanilla, almond extract, butter emulsion, milk and oil and beat until smooth
- add the poppy seeds and fold in
- pour into a well greased (I like bakers joy) bundt pan and bake at 350 for 40-50 mins
- invert pan and let cool on cooling rack – you can frost warm and the frosting will get soft and drippy and make a mess but also soak in a little – or let it cook so the frosting stays on top – I picked the middle – I frosted while it was still warm, but not hot
- beat the cream cheese, butter and clear vanilla together until fluffy
- add the powdered sugar and beat until smooth and slightly thick
- add the heavy cream – a tsp at a time and beat until the desired consistency is achieved
- frost the cake and enjoy!