I bought a bundt cake pan a few years ago… cause it was pretty, pink (see below) but I have a confession to make… I’ve never used it! NOPE! not once. I always make regular cake, so why make a cake with a hole, with no frosting that’s just gonna dry out? ANYWAY Today is National Bundt Cake Day and the Celebrating Food bloggers voted to celebrate it this year so I HAD to step in and make one!
I will admit its pretty, and of course delicious, and now I want to try a few more. I admit that the glaze is runny and it’s a huge mess if you pour it all over… like i did for these pictures. Try pouring just a little at a time and letting it soak in before you add more. Or keep some to the side to pour on slices. The glaze keeps the cake from drying out, not that it lasted long enough to dry out, I actually made multiple ones for recipe testing purposes. The last time it did take us a little longer to eat… It’s pretty sweet.
- 4 lrg eggs
- 2 C granulated sugar
- 1 C olive oil
- 2 tsp coconut flavor
- 3 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C buttermilk
- 1 C shredded coconut
- 1 C chopped pecans
- 8 oz full fat cream cheese
- 1/3 C granulated sugar
- 1/3 C coconut cream optional - leads to a softer cheesecake center, not as set
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 lrg egg slightly beaten
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 C water
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp coconut flavor
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Beat the eggs, 2 C sugar, oil and 2 tsp coconut flavor in a mixer.
- Add flour, soda, powder, salt and mix well.
- Add the buttermilk, coconut, nuts and blend.
- Pour 3/4 of the batter into bundt pan
- beat the cream cheese, sugar, coconut cream and vanilla
- once it's smooth add the egg and mix until just combined
- pipe into the pan in an even layer (if you pipe it all together it will create a tunnel instead of a ribbon)
- cover with the rest of the batter
- Bake for 1 hour+, the cake will bounce back when pressed
- Let cool 10 mins, then turn out
- bring the sugar, water and butter to a boil
- let boil 5 mins
- take off the heat and add the coconut
- you can pour over the cake right away and let it soak in when warm, or let it cool and thicken then pour it over,
- keep any extra and pour over as you slice it
I will say I love the flavor of the coconut cream in the cheesecake, BUT the cheesecake layer sets much better without out, also it set’s better if you spread it as a thin layer rather than pipe it all in the center. When I pipe it all in the center it creates a tube in the middle (actually it sinks so not in the middle), and kind of a hollow hole with the cheesecake. When you spread it as a thin layer it just creates a nice ribbon of cheesecake in the cake, so it depends on what you prefer. The structure of the cake is better with the ribbon.
ANYWAY, anyone have a FAVORITE bundt cake I should consider first? I really want to try the multi colored ones, but I think I need one of the other pan shapes for that. Thankfully I have a great place to start, My other Celebrating Food Bloggers have a TON of recipes I can start with. Check out our new recipes for today AND then check out a collection of older recipes they all have on their sites!
NEW recipes from Celebrating Food Bloggers
Coconut Pecan Cheesecake Bundt Cake – Ashlee Marie (scroll up!)
Pumpkin Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze – Butter With A Side of Bread
Cranberry Orange Bundt Cake with White Chocolate Glaze – Jamie Cooks It Up!
Cream of Coconut Bundt Cake – Creations by Kara
Mama’s 7-Up Pound Cake – Tried and Tasty
Applesauce Spice Cake – Real Mom Kitchen
(plus a bonus round up from Like Mother Like Daughter)
More Bundt Cakes from Celebrating Food Bloggers
chocolate peanut butter bundt cake – like mother like daughter
Lemon Buttermilk Bundt Cake – butter with a side of bread
Caramel Apple Cream Cheese Bundt Cake – jamie cooks it up
http://www.creationsbykara.com/2015/08/white-chocolate-raspberry-bundt-cake-recipe.html/ – Creations by Kara
Cranberry Pudding Cake – Real Mom Kitchen
chocolate pumpkin spice bundt cake – like mother like daughter
Glazed Strawberry Bundt Cake – butter with a side of bread
Double Chocolate Bundt Cake with Homemade Hot Fudge – jamie cooks it up
Pumpkin Cake w/Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting – Creations by Kara
Mountain Dew Cake – Real Mom Kitchen
Triple Berry Lemon Bundt Cake – like mother like daughter
Raspberry Buttermilk Bundt Cake – butter with a side of bread
Snickerdoodle Bundt Cake – jamie cooks it up