Last year I was asked by the local aquarium to make a cake for them! My kids love the aquarium so I was thrilled to be able to. There was an under the sea theme and a blue room, so I went with brightly colored coral. AND with Finding Dory out this month the timing for sharing it couldn’t be more perfect!
I even filmed the whole thing… but my camera quit working and I lost some audio (this was way back when I first started) so I put it on the back burner. Now a recipe I can simply make again when problems happen (and they happen all the time) but a CAKE! That’s not gonna happen. I finally brought it back out to see what I could do with it, and I was happily surprised to realize I got all the main coral tutorial completed! YAY!
Man it’s crazy to watch and edit footage from so long ago – 1. I was much thinner… boo and 2. my kitchen was a mess and 3. I’ve learned so much about filming to make it smoother! So while I’m missing a good intro and outro I hope you enjoy this cake as much as I do!
The purple, pink and yellow corals I didn’t get to film, but most are super self explanatory. The bright yellow was just rolled out “snakes” I cut about an inch long then rolled thin on one side, the dark purple is just a thicker version with and indentation. The pink’s are just flat circles with a circle indentation and the light purple is just a thin strip cut like the seaweed then wrinkled together.
The only one I regret not getting filmed is the half cup light yellow one – it turned out SO good too! I rolled the yellow out super thin, cut into half circles, thinned the edge with a ball tool, then pressed down into small bowls of various sizes and left to dry! seriously so pretty!
My two favorite corals are the chocolate corals and the coral rocks from the pastillage. They turned out SO good and are seriously so easy to make! I wouldn’t eat the rocks, but the other corals are totally easy to eat – my kids always fight over all the fondant details.
AND even better – it’s time for a new #creativefoodies round up! Check out these other ocean themed treats! So cute and perfect for your beach vacation or Finding Dory party!
- Under the Sea Cake – HERE
- Octopus Pudding Cups by Mom Endeavors
- Finding Dory Marshmallow Pops by See Vanessa Craft
- Shark Frenzy Ice Cream by A Night Owl Blog
- Ocean Water Mocktail by Spaceships & Laserbeams
- Easy Finding Dory Cupcakes by Kitchen Fun with My 3 Sons
- Ocean Friends Cupcakes by Mommy Hates Cooking
- Liquid Sunshine Cocktail by Two Twenty One
- Ocean Blue Lemonade Popsicles by Play Party Plan
- Ocean Berry Icebox Cake by Printable Crush
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020