My Grandma grew up in Mexico, so we consider all the Mexican food we make to be authentic. So growing up with these I never knew why I didn’t see stacked enchiladas at Mexican restaurants I’d go to. I’ve now learned that all Mexican food is not created equal and it depends on what PART of Mexico you go to!
So here is the “authentic” stacked enchiladas I grew up with! They are a quick and easy meal to make, AND if you leave the egg off it’s one of the only vegetarian dishes I make (so it’s one of my husbands favorites since he doesn’t LOVE meat like I do). But I love the sunny side up fried egg on top. It just add’s something to it.
Tomato and Cheese Stacked Enchiladas
- 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 46 oz can tomato juice
- 1 Cup hot water
- 2-4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 30 Corn tortillas
- Frying oil
- 3 Cups Cheddar Cheese grated
- 1 Onion chopped optional
- Fried eggs
- Heat the oil medium high.
- While that's heating put the tomatoes and the juice in a large pot and bring to almost boil (you don't want to boil tomatoes, so just be careful).
- While the tomatoes are heating add flour (1 tsp. at a time) to the hot water (not boiling, just hot) till a thick paste (but no chunks).
- Add chili powder and salt, then pour SLOWLY into tomatoes, stirring while you go.
- In the oil cook tortilla (one at a time), turning half way, until cruchy.
- Then dip into tomato mixture scoop out and place on your plate.
- Layer the tortillas, cheese and onions on plates.
- Top with sunny-side up fried egg up if desired
My husband I like to stack ours about 4 – 5 tortilla’s high, but the kids each only eat about 2. But lately Lego Boy and Computer boy have been asking for seconds, so next time they’ll each get 3! Is it funny that giving my kids an extra enchilada is like a milestone for me?
What are you favorite foods you grew up with? Or ones that have huge memories for you? I don’t make a lot of the same dishes I grew up with, but the ones I held on to are always fun to make!
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020