It’s that time of year again – summer is more than half way over and the kids are getting bored – they (and you) are thinking about school again! Personally I have a love hate relationship with school – love my kids making friends and learning and growing – but dang I miss them so much when they are gone (and I HATE school mornings – so much rushing, being late, overall frustration – NOT a morning person)
Anyway trying to get excited about it for the sake of the kids excitement I made these SUPER EASY back to school sugar cookies! seriously! roll out your cookie dough and cut rectangles, no cookie cutter required and less cookie dough waste! bake and voila – perfect base! Color flow the yellow and let it dry and your ready to add the lines – And here I have a trick for you to get perfectly even lines!
PLASTIC WRAP! yup! awesome, huh? I was inspired by those nail video tutorials, but obviously you can’t use tape on cookies… but the plastic wrap worked great, just make sure to fold it over as you pull away so you don’t get black frosting dye everywhere!
And there you have it! Sweets for my sweets, OR sweets
to bribe to become beloved to the kiddo’s teachers! of course with 1 in high school and 2 in middle school I now have a LOT of teachers… Maybe we’ll stick to the 1 in elementary school – much easier!
Ruler Sugar Cookies - Back to School
- 6 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 C Butter and margarine
- 2 C granulated sugar
- 2 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 C full fat sour cream
- 4 C powdered sugar
- 1/4 C whole milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp extract peppermint or almond
- Food coloring optional
- Preheat oven to 350
- Sift flour, soda, salt, nutmeg and powder in a bowl.
- In separate bowl cream the butter and sugar (use cookie paddles or dough hook this will get thick)
- Add the egg and beat again
- then add the vanilla and sour cream and beat it smooth
- Mix in dry ingredients and beat smooth - it will be thick.
- wrap up in wax paper or parchment paper and chill in fridge for 3-4 hours
- preheat oven to 350
- roll out to 1/4 inch cut into rectangles about 1 1/2 inches x 5 inches
- bake for 12 mins, until the edges get a slight golden color to them (don't over bake) let cool
- In a mixer mix the powdered sugar and meringue powder, then add the water
- beat for 7-10 mins on medium speed, until it's smooth and glossy
- Separate into two bowls, one with about 4 C and one with 1/2 C in the other
- place plastic wrap down on top, touching the frosting, so it doesn't dry out
- Dye the larger bowl of royal icing yellow
- in a piping bag with a number 4 tip pipe a rectangle outline on each cookie
- thin down the royal icing with a little water (do a 1/4 tsp at a time), when you mix it it should smooth out again at the count of 10 (don't add too much)
- pipe the runnier icing into the outline and shake smooth, using a sharp pin if needed to pop bubbles or move the icing around a little
- let crust and dry
- Take the 1/2 C of icing and add a little bit of cocoa powder, like 1 tsp, stir smooth, then add some black powder or gel dye, until your happy with the color.
- if it's too thick add a little bit of water, like a few DROPS at a time until it will pipe smoothly from a tip 3 or 4
- add plastic wrap down the center of the cookie to use as a guide and then pipe the short lines, in groups of 4 down the side of the ruler
- moving the plastic wrap back add the longer lines between the shorter groups of 4
And I can’t just leave you with ONE back to school snack, right? CHECK OUT these 8 other creative bloggers and their fun back to school snacks – click over to get each recipe and you are all ready to welcome the kids back home from a rough day of school!
- Ruler Sugar Cookies – HERE
- Cranberry Almond Energy Bites by Mom Endeavors
- Cinnamon Apple Fries by See Vanessa Craft
- Cinnamon Raisin Granola by A Night Owl Blog
- Homemade Cherry Pie Larabars by Spaceships and Lasber Beams
- Protein Packed Rice Cakes by Mommy Hates Cooking
- Snack Mix by Two Twenty One
- Apple Nachos by Happiness is Homemade
- Peanut Butter Apple Flower by Printable Crush
JOIN MY NEWSLETTER!
Become an insider and receive this FREE Maple Icing Recipe (not seen on the blog!)
These are adorable!! Thanks for sharing!
I love all your recipes.
thank you so much!