We love movies, ALL movies, and so of course I find any excuse to make fun movie themed food – and with the new Alice through the looking glass coming out today I had to create something fun to celebrate!
The newest main character to the movie is “Time” and he has pocket watches for each character (a life span thing maybe? I haven’t seen it yet). So when I saw that image the first thing I thought was “they’d make a fun cake pop!” And that’s exactly what I did!
Fun cake pops (or oreo ball pops) can be time consuming but at the end of the day they are more simple than you think! I’ve actually made 2 batches of these pocket watches as the kids ate the first ones before I could take pictures… AND it went even faster the second time!
The trick I’ve found with cake pops is having everything gathered and prepared, it helps with the time it takes a ton when I don’t have to stop and go look for something (just to find I ran out or something terrible like that)
Pocket watch cake pops - Alice through the looking glass
- 36 oreo cookies
- 8 oz full fat cream cheese softened
- 12 oz yellow chocolate
- 4 oz yellow gumpaste
- super gold luster dust
- 4 oz white fondant
- black gel dye
- crush the cookies (I like a food processor for a nice fine cookie)
- mix in the cream cheese - chill until your ready to shape
- take the gumpaste and dye it yellow, roll it out thin and cut with a <a href="https://amzn.to/22r5wuk" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">1 1/2 inch circle cookie cutter</a> and place inside something round to dry (I used the mini wondermold pan)
- Using a <a href="https://amzn.to/1sBYE0Q" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Medium cookie scoop</a> scoop out the oreo mixture and between the palms of your hands shape into half a pocket watch, about 2 inches tall and 1/2 inch thick - chill 10-15 mins
- melt the yellow chocolate, then stick a popsicle stick into the chocolate then almost all the way through each of the chilled cookie balls, chill 10 -15 more mins
- dip the entire cookie ball into the chocolate, covering completely.
- Shake off the excess chocolate and make sure its smooth on both sides, then press the dried gumpaste circles into the bottom of the flatter side (like an open pocket watch)
- pipe some small circles with the yellow chocolate - let set
- pipe some designs all the way around the sides of the watch to dress it up
- pipe a dollop of chocolate on the top and add the dried chocolate circles
- carefully dust the entire pop with the gold luster dust to give it a shine
- roll out the white fondant, thin, and cut out the circles, press it onto the front of the pop
- using a thin brush and black gel dye paint the numbers onto the clock face! add hands if you want
AND of course I’m not the only one excited for the movie! Check out these 6 other super fun crafts and recipes from some of my favorite bloggers to kick of today’s movie release!
- Pocket Watch Pops – HERE
- Earl Grey Cake with Vanilla Bean Frosting from Around My Family Table
- Chai Latte Cupcakes from Bread Booze Bacon
- Beginner’s Guide to Tea from Celebrating Family
- Queen of Hearts Tomato Tart from A Savory Feast
- Asparagus Ricotta Puff Pastry Tart from A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
- Earl Grey Shortbread Cookies from Feast + West
JOIN MY NEWSLETTER!
Become an insider and receive this FREE Maple Icing Recipe (not seen on the blog!)
Jenna @ A Savory Feast
These are so stinkin’ cute! I made cake pops for the first time a few months ago and have been wanting to make some more. Your video makes it so easy!
thank you so much! it’s fun to make themed pops for holidays and movies!
I love these. So fun!
thank you so much!
Love this adorable idea! Thanks for the post.
thank you so much!