My Grandmother grew up in Mexico (she’s not Mexican though) and she has some great recipes. Like these beans.
This is a family favorite and one day out of every reunion revolves around this meal! I know every one has their own way of making beans. This is ours:
Tamale’s!!! One of my favorite foods, and I finally learned how to make them from scratch!!! Yippee! My cousin married this amazing gal whose mother is Mexican and she makes amazing tamales.
She taught my brother in law (who loves to cook and is amazing!) and he taught me! This weekend I made another batch myself! SOOOOO good!
Grandma's pinto beans
- 4 C dry pinto beans
- 16 C water
- 1 salt pork or fatback, depending on where you live, NOT sliced
- 6-8 Onions peeled
- shredded cheddar topping
- sliced jalapenos topping
- The measurements are 1 part beans to 4 parts water. you can go smaller or larger, whichever you want
- place the water, beans, salt pork and whole onions in a large pot
- Bring it to a boil and let it simmer all day, stirring every so often so they don't burn to the bottom.
- About an hour or two before we're ready to eat I throw in another onion or 2 (peeled and cut in half) so there are some large onion chunks in the end.
- Then take out the fatback and serve.
- Serve the beans with sliced Jalapenos and shredded cheddar cheese