This is a sponsored post, Kraft Foods sent me jars of MIRACLE WHIP and this recipe to try as part of the #proudofit campaign
I am an odd duck. No seriously, I know you’re shocked… I don’t love traditional potato salad! It’s a staple at bar b ques (which I LOVE) but I’ve just never loved it. My grandma has a recipe that everyone in my family goes CRAZY over… everyone but ME! I’m always searching for potato salad that I like!
This recipe was totally unexpected… The addition of the kale and apples was actually amazing! It added a great texture, crunch and sweetness. And I loved the sweet and tangy dressing. Like I said before I’m a MIRACLE WHIP and Proud of It gal so it’s not surprising that I loved this dressing. And the whole thing was SO easy to make as well, like seriously 20 mins prep.
Kale and Apple Potato Salad
- 3/4 C MIRACLE WHIP Dressing
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 2 lbs red potatoes cooked. cut & cooled
- 4 cups kale coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 2 apples cored and diced
- 4 slices bacon cooked and chopped
- Mix dressing, mustard and vinegar until blended.
- Combine remaining ingredients in large bowl
- Add dressing mixture; mix lightly.
- Refrigerate several hours or until chilled.
- Top with bacon, if desired.
Soooooo What did I think??? I liked it! I was shocked. I love new red potatoes in salads (they hold their shape better when cooked AND I actually like red potato skins) and the addition of the kale and red onion was really nice! The dressing smells and tastes great and it’s so EASY! I think I’ll try granny smith apples next time for a bit more tartness and MAYBE a little more bacon, or maybe just chop the bacon up more, I like a little of everything in each bite.
This recipe is great for a Memorial Day or Summer potluck because it’s:
- A great change in potato salad, no one wants to bring the same old dish as everyone else
- It’s GORGEOUS, seriously I love all the colors, it will definitely stand out!
- It tastes great! Seriously, I don’t love veggies and even I liked this one (I will say my husband loved it, he went back for seconds)
So what is your favorite food to bring to a potluck? Do you LOVE traditional potato salad or are you looking for a change?
For more ideas of great salads, dips and sandwiches visit MIRACLEWHIP.com!