I love ice cream, and I love cake! So putting the two together seems pretty simple, huh? The hardest part was deciding on a flavor of ice cream! I love Tillamook Ice cream. Maybe it’s because I grew up in Oregon and used to visit the factory every year, or maybe because it’s the creamiest, most delicious ice cream ever! ANYWAY, whatever you like best is what you should use.
First off you need to start with a cooked and cooled cake layer, not a full cake, just one layer. you can go with a light cake, but a slightly heavier, denser, cake does better. I always have a few layers of cake in the freezer, which makes it easy, lucky me! I grabbed a vanilla layer, so that the ice cream would be the “star”, but ANY flavor would work, and could be REALLY fun! . For the ice cream layer I tend to go with some kind of chocolate, cause well… CHOCOLATE!
Ice Cream Cake recipe
- 4 C Ice Cream - any flavor
- 8 inch Cake Layer - baked any flavor
- 2 C Vanilla ice cream - softened
- 2 C Buttercream
- using a cake pan the same size as the cake press parchment paper into every side, fill with the first ice cream if you want any type of filling do it now, before you press the cake down
- Press the cake down into the ice cream. Freeze overnight
- Pull the cake out and put it on a cake board, peel back the parchment paper. frost with the softened vanilla ice cream. Refreeze.
- Decorate with buttercream however you like! And refreeze. put out about 10 mins before serving, cut with a warm knife.
You can have fun decorating, BUT if you take too long the buttercream decorations WILL fall off the frosting.. I’d suggest lighter decorations, the thick swirls I did were kind of heavy. And the vanilla ice cream sides tend to drip first so I’d refrain from decorating the sides very much. Decorate the base, and the top and you’ll be happy with it.
I didn’t smooth my ice cream enough, I though the cake would press it flat, but it ended up just squishing the cake, so next time I’ll smooth the ice cream smooth so the cake doesn’t get so squished. but either way.. it TASTED amazing! What flavors should I try next?
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020