This technique, using stencils, is super simple and it’s the perfect way to get detailed even royal icing designs onto a fondant cake. I’ve used stencils and royal icing on this sequin wedding cake, this silver leaf wedding cake, this black and white wedding cake and even on Anna (her bodice and skirt)!
I do a mix of making my own stencils and using premade ones. I recently did this Graffiti cake using a homemade stencil and I talk about making it. If you’d like a video tutorial on making your own stencils let me know!!! It’s super easy and the possibilities of what you can create are endless (and it isn’t very expensive: just Stencil Plastic, a Cutter (aka wood burner), a Glass cutting board and printer (to print your design)!!
this video has a ton of tips, including how I use a Self adhesive Ace Bandage to hold the stencil in place while I work! Don’t forget, don’t overlay the stencil on top of wet royal icing, it’s worth taking the time to wait until it’s dry to move on. To save time I mark out the stencil placement before hand then I do two opposite sides at once, then fill in the other 2 sides once that’s dry. You could also just do one side at a time, letting it dry and working your way around, but I like to save time where I can.
Royal Icing Recipe
- 1 lbs powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp Meringue Powder
- 5 Tbsp + warm water
- in a METAL or glass bowl (not plastic) stir the Powdered sugar and the meringue powder together
- add 5 Tbsp warm water and mix until it's mostly all wet
- Using a mixer beat for 10 mins on low speed (less with a heavy duty mixer, slightly more with a hand mixer)
- add 1/2 to 1 tsp of water at a time until the consistency is right.
I hope you guys enjoyed this tutorial. You can do any color of royal icing and any stencil to decorate you cake. You could even mix using air brush with a stencil and royal icing with a stencil to get a flat and embossed look to your design. What would YOU use this tutorial to make?
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020