It’s funny how sometimes we forget to share the most simple things we make. So here is one of my most simple recipes – traditional homemade flour tortillas! When we were living in Japan I craved the simple things – like chips and salsa, quesadillas, fajita’s, etc… Thankfully spices were easy to come by and tortillas are easy to make!
Someone once told me you don’t have to count water or salt and pepper in ingredient counts for recipe – well if you don’t count the water or salt this is three ingredients (obviously 5 if you do count them. I mean who doesn’t have flour, baking powder, and shortening lying around? You can also use lard instead of vegetable shortening – def a great flavor – but this is one of the FEW times (tamales too) I don’t recommend subbing out butter.
This recipe is all about getting the dough consistency right – you add the water until your happy with the texture then knead/rest/knead/rest/knead – this will help develop the gluten. Kneading helps develop the gluten resulting in a better stretch to the dough and a softer tortilla.
The resting period is important too, to let the gluten relax, you can’t just knead straight and have the dough turn out right – trust me. AND over kneading (almost impossible by hand) will end with a super tough dough and tortilla (so I still do it by hand vs using my Bosch)
Homemade Flour Tortillas recipe and video
- 6 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C shortening
- 2-3 C hot water
- mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl
- cut in the shortening until it is very small crumbs
- add a small amount of water at a time and mix until the dough is soft, and spongy
- knead 5 mins, then rest for 10 mins then repeat about three times
- form into balls about 1-2 inches in diameter
- roll out on a lightly floured board
- place in a hot, dry, skillet and cook about 1 min on each side
- to keep tortillas warm keep wrapped in foil
So that’s that – easy peasy and oh so worth it! What is your favorite thing to enjoy with tortillas?
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020
- Classic Chocolate Chip Cookie - February 3, 2020
- Instant Pot Parmesan Risotto Recipe - February 1, 2020