There are a few styles of churro recipes out there, so when someone told me they made theirs with a pate a choux dough I thought! BRILLIANT! such an easy dough to make and delicious, I can’t wait to try it! My first batch I was distracted and didn’t add enough eggs to the recipe and the end result was thin crisp churros (which I dubbed churro fries and shared a few weeks ago)
BUT I wanted REAL churros, with a full soft inside to balance the outer crunch. SO I made another batch. Just as easy and simple as I’d hoped and seriously so delicious! My mom and kids were enjoying them so much I barely had any left for pictures! And trust me they didn’t last long after pictures either!
As you can see you can have a lot of fun with shapes, and different tips. I think next time I’ll make them in a shallower fryer and see if I can have better luck piping right into the oil for some fun as well. And of course start experimenting with filled churros and churro dips now too! I’m just a little Churro obsessed!
SO are you a Churro fan? Do you have a churro recipe you love to make (I’d love to try more and see how they differ from each other!). Of course I’m obviously a fried food fanatic, but I have seen BAKED churros, churro bowls and even churro ice cream cones! WHAAAAAA what’s the best churro you’ve seen?
Homemade Churro RecipePrint Pin Rate
Pate a Choux batter
- 1/2 C water
- 1/2 C whole milk
- 1/2 C butter
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 C all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 C eggs usually 4 large eggs
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- heat the milk, water and butter and bring to a simmer
- add the flour and salt and stir until it's all incorporated
- put in a mixing bowl and let cool 4 mins
- while mixing add the eggs one at a time, letting each one become incorporated
- Heat oil up to 375 degrees F
- pipe into the oil 4-6 inches at a time, cutting off with your finger or a knife (a knife will give a straighter end)
- pipe shapes onto parchment paper squares if you want, then place in the oil, after about 30 seconds pull the paper out.
- remove when golden and roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture