We love love love Marvel movies! I love that it’s a full world and phase three has started and I can’t wait! I love that there is a thin interconnected story between all the movies, even though the movies are all stand alone as well. And, Hello! Benedict Cumberbatch? I’m a fan!
So as every cake I do I start with research – I decided I wanted to feature the the Cloak of Levitation, Eye of Agamotto and Sling Rings – so making his outfit was an obvious choice – with TONS of details. Details make a cake easier and harder – harder cause of the work, but easier cause if you get it right EVERYONE will recognize the cake right away!
This is my first time using the Rokem dusts – I am IN LOVE! they are amazing and I can’t wait to use them again! And while this cake had its ups and down – I made 4 of that golden cage… I am in love with how it turned out!
Supplied and tools for making this fondant covered Marvel Universe Doctor Strange Cake
- Printable Collar template
- cake pans
- Long, Sharp, Strong serrated knife (I like the Cutco Santoku-Style 10″ Slicer)
- small frosting spatula
- Fondant smoothers
- Fondant/gumpaste extruder (or a clay extruder you ONLY use for cake decorating)
- Fondant/gumpaste tools or this set
- Scriber Needle
- revolving cake stand (when using a cake plate)
- Turntable (to use with a cake stand)
- Gold & Copper Dust
- 22 gauge covered wire
- 2 inch cutter
- basket impression mat
- gumpaste OR fondant with gumtex
I like bringing in the details but as an “inspired by” technique not an exact “body” I don’t like dismembered body cakes – just a torso an neck is weird… or arm stubs…. It was an easy way to bring together all the details I wanted to feature – and I got to really bring life to them – love how the cape turned out – and while the eye was a PAIN it turned out AMAZING!
even the worn down brushed metals on the belt are perfect! and the bright shine of the relics! SO have you seen the movie yet? I took my oldest to a special screening earlier this week and IT WAS AWESOME! seriously so much fun – I was worried it would go too into the special effects – as it’s easy to do – but I felt it was JUST the right amounts! AND I can’t wait to see what part the Doctor plays in the rest of the Marvel story line!
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020