My sisters and I all have amazing in-laws. And they’ve each brought something new to the table… Get it, TABLE! BWAHAHAHA (I’m hilarious)! Okay, anyway, my middle sister’s mother in law introduced this AMAZING coconut bread to me years ago. The first time I had it I was changed forever. I love to make this bread.
In fact My sisters in-laws like bread so much they opened a bread store. Actually the bought a well known franchise. Then they added this coconut bread recipe to the menu, it was a huge hit. SUCH a huge hit that the franchise added it to the menu for ALL the stores! This is the original, straight from the source, recipe.
I’ve made it with both sweetened and unsweetened coconut, and like it both ways. My sister and her mother in law have always used sweetened coconut. And it’s terrific. If you want a less sweet version that still have great coconut flavor try the unsweetened shredded coconut. The unsweetened shredded coconut still has great flavor. I go back and forth and use both depending on what I feel like.
- 4 lrg eggs
- 2 C granulated sugar
- 1 C olive oil
- 2 tsp coconut flavor
- 3 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C buttermilk
- 1 C shredded coconut
- 1 C chopped pecans
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 C water
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp coconut flavor
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Beat the eggs, 2 C sugar, oil and 2 tsp coconut flavor in a mixer.
- Add flour, soda, powder, salt and mix well.
- Add the buttermilk, coconut, nuts and blend.
- Pour into 2 large or 6 small loaf pans.
- Optional- sprinkle extra coconut on top.
- Cook for 1 hour, or 45 mins for small pans.
- Great plain, with butter or my favorite is with cream cheese.
- Bring the sugar, water and butter to a boil
- let boil 5 mins
- take off the heat and add the coconut extract
- pour over the bread right away and let soak in, OR let the glaze cool slightly then pour over
Whichever coconut you prefer to use I think it’s better with the smaller flakes so I’ll throw the larger sweetened flakes in my food processor to shred it a bit before making this bread (or actually any recipe with coconut). I love to cut a warm slice and top with whipped cream cheese. The next day i like to toast it (and add cream cheese – seriously it might sound weird but it’s AMAZING).
- Pistachio Dessert Lasagna Recipe - April 18, 2020
- Homemade White Bread Recipe - April 17, 2020
- Easter Egg Pinata Cake with Chocolate Nest – recipe and video - April 8, 2020