Hi there I’m Topsy Turvy readers! I am so thrilled to share a piece of my world with you today! I’m Laura Muir From Fresh & Happy. I couldn’t be happier to join forces with the lovely Ashlee Prisbrey and become a part of this great website.
Spring is in the air around our home and I couldn’t be more excited!!! Winter, winter go away, come again…. Well, never preferably. The sun has made it’s debut a few times this week and I have been soaking it in as much as possible. It’s so therapeutic to my soul to feel the warmth of the sun on my skin. I am such a creature of the sun! It’s a wonder i’ve survived so many winter seasons here in Utah.
My sweetie came home from the National Pastrie Competition in New York this week and brought me some fabulous surprises from Eataly (which I am DYING to visit). One of said surprizes was an amazing cookbook called Salad For Dinner: Complete Meals For All Seasons. It is total eye candy! All it took was one look at the cover and I was dreaming of a nicoise (nee-swahz) salad. I have yet to delve into the glossy pages of this cookbook, but it has already served it’s purpose by inspiring me to create this salad!
I am so glad to introduce to you my: Citrus Nicoise Salad With Tangerine Vinaigrette Dressing.
Citrus is available in abundance here in Utah, so I have been having a little citrus party with these beautiful fruits! This week I bought Ruby Red Grapefruit and Minneloa Tangerines. They are both so juicy and beautiful. I took the classic French nicoise salad and boosted it with these citrus fruits and some colorful baby heirloom tomatoes. To top it off I whipped up a light and refreshing tangerine vinaigrette dressing. Oooh La La! My taste buds were singing!
I hope you’ll come along with me to celebrate spring with this easy to make salad that is perfect for a lunch with the girls or a light dinner. It can also be served as a side salad (which is what I did!) Here’s the recipe:
Citrus Nicoise Salad With Tangerine Vinaigrette Dressing
For Citrus Nicoise Salad:
- 8 eggs hard boiled, peeled and quartered
- 2 C endive lettuce chopped
- 2 C romaine hearts chopped
- 1 grapefruit peeled and sliced thin
- 1 minneloa tangerine peeled and sliced thin
- 1 C baby heirloom tomatoes diced
- 1 C red onion sliced thin
- 1 handfull green beans blanched
- 2-3 oz chèvre cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
For Tangerine Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 1/3 C minneloa tangerine juice
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red onion minced
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- ground pepper to taste
- Prepare 8 hard boiled eggs. Allow them to cool, then peel and slice them into quarters.
- Chop endive lettuce and romaine hearts.
- Slice peel off of grapefruit and tangerine. Slice very thin (using a mandolin would be best).
- Chop baby heirloom tomatoes.
- Slice red onion.
- Fill a medium sized pot with water and bring it to a rolling boil. Toss in green beans and blanch for a few minutes until the green beans turn a brighter shade of green and are slightly tender. Drain water and set aside to cool.
- Emulsify together all dressing ingredients and set in refrigerator untiil ready to serve.
- Add lettuce to a bowl and mix greens together. Top with eggs, sliced citrus fruits, baby heriloom tomatoes, red onions, green beans and dollops of soft chevre cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately! Enjoy!
Since I was having so much fun with citrus, I decided to use up the rest of my fruit to make a Citrus Salsa to top my Pan Seared Tilapia Fillets. For the kids, I roasted some mouth-watering Sweet Potato Strings. It was a food trio made in heaven. Visit my website: Fresh & Happy to snag these recipes to go along with your Citrus Nicoise Salad!
Thanks for joining me on my cooking adventure today! What are you doing to celebrate the soon to be spring season? I would love to hear what you have planned! Have a fresh and happy day!
- Perfect Crescent Roll Recipe with Whipped Berry Butter - May 9, 2014
- Chicken Marsala And Garlic Cauliflower Mash - April 4, 2014
- Citrus Nicoise Salad With Tangerine Vinaigrette Dressing - March 7, 2014