A few months ago I got invited to a new restaurant opening and for dessert they had these cheesecake chimichanga’s on the menu – we almost just skipped dinner and went straight for dessert. And while dinner was good when we finally got around to dessert we DID wish we had just gone for the dessert – ever since I’ve wanted to recreate it and now I have it for you!
Seriously SO GOOD! I used my classic creamy cheesecake recipe and the crust too – just layer them in the tortillas, fold together, pin closed with a toothpick and fry! Yup – just that easy. Turn over in the cinnamon and sugar mixture and serve with any cheesecake topping you like.
The raw batter will cook in the fryer and you’ll have a warm gooey cheesecake in a crunchy shell. I will say they are amazing fresh – BUT I enjoyed the leftovers as well. I’ve made these once a week since the first time and I’m even more in love with them now!
Make sure to take out the toothpick – I forgot to warn my family about them one and my dad bit into a toothpick – NOT great
SO you can flavor the cheesecake batter and change up the toppings as well – I can’t wait to make my caramel cheesecake batter in these with caramel sauce- or my peanut butter one with chocolate sauce… oh yeah. What flavor combo would you make?
this deep fried sweet treat is an amazing dessert - my classic cheesecake batter wrapped in a tortilla, fried and rolled in cinnamon sugar and topped with cheesecake topping. It's a pretty dessert.
- 1 C graham cracker or cookie crumbs
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 6 Tbsp butter - melted
- 1 lbs full fat cream cheese
- ½ C granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 lrg egg
- 1 lrg egg yolk
- 12 6 inch tortillas
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- oil for frying
- Mix the crumbs and sugar
- add the melted butter and knead together
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth
- add the sugar and vanilla and beat again
- add the egg and yolk and barely mix in on low
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees F
- pour a spoonful of crust onto the tortilla
- pipe the cheesecake batter on top (spreading will just lead to more of a mess and thinner batter)
- fold in the sides then the top and bottom of the tortilla and secure with a toothpick
- fry 2:30 mins on each side
- pull out and roll in cinnamon and sugar mixture
- top with any cheesecake topping - serve warm
Everyone who tries these has instantly fallen in love. Now I used my large fryer – cause I have one and it’s often out. BUT you don’t need much oil and you can easily fry these in a few inches of oil in a pan on the stove – just keep an eye on the oil so it doesn’t get too hot. I like to use a thermometer to make sure the temp is right.
Do not miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email