Candy coated popcorn is ALWAYS popular, and it’s so cheap to make! One capful of kernels makes a ton of popcorn! This is my BIL’s favorite thing from my parties. This cake mix version is pretty darn good!
Cake Batter and Sprinkles Popcorn
- 1 1/2 C guittard white vanilla apeels
- 1/8-1/4 C Shortening
- 1 1/2 C cake mix
- 6 C popcorn popped
- 1/4 C Sprinkles
- Melt the candy coating in the microwave or double broiler.
- Add the shortening to the candy and stir until it is melted.
- Then add the cake mix and stir until it's smooth.
- Spread the popped popcorn out on a cookie sheet and pour the coating onto the popcorn and coat evenly. I used a spatula to stir and fold it all together.
- Sprinkle with the sprinkles and let it cool and harden!
You can make it with any candy coating, but the ribbons melt thinner than the buttons and are a great option, you might not even have to use any of the shortening (I still used a bit, but not as much). And while I used sprinkles (duh) you can add nuts, candy (dark chocolate M&M’s are great), candy corn etc…[riview showtitle=always id=64 name=parties tags=cake-batter-sprinkles-party size=150x150 lightbox=0]
JOIN MY NEWSLETTER!
Become an insider and receive this FREE Maple Icing Recipe (not seen on the blog!)
What kind of cake mix do you use?
white or yellow, whichever flavor you like. The white cake will keep the recipe white.