I actually used my regular recipe for these marshmallows, just adding cake mix to the gelatin. They didn’t QUITE turn out as MARHSMALLOW-Y as I’d like, more just gelatin-y (what- it’s a word!). I’ll keep working on them.
- Mix the gelatin and cake mix, add 1/2 C of cold water in a small bowl and set aside to swell for 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan pour the sugar and second measure of water.
- Gently dissolve the sugar over a low heat stirring constantly.
- Add the swollen gelatin and dissolve.
- Raise the temperature and bring to the boil.
- Boil steadily but not vigorously for 15 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool until lukewarm.
- Add the vanilla and whisk the mixture with an electric mixer or beater until very thick and white.
- Rinse a 9x13 glass pan under water and pour the marshmallow mixture into the wet tin.
- Refrigerate until set.
- Cut into squares and roll in mixed cornstarch and icing sugar.