I have been on the search for the perfect biscuits for over a year now. I’m still looking for a more buttery style as well, but these are the perfect buttermilk biscuits, trust me I’ve tried over 30 recipes and done ton’s of changes. You have no idea how many I’ve thrown away, thankfully biscuits are cheap to make!
I’m looking for a great flavor (some have no flavor at all) but biscuits are a base for other food and you don’t want it to be too strong. You also want them to be fluffy and flaky but strong enough to hold gravy or jelly or others without falling apart.
The thing to be the most aware of is that the dough is REALLY wet, very sticky, but that’s okay, that’s what’s giving you the best texture. If you add enough flour that the dough is easy to work with it will be really heavy, wont rise properly and you’ll be left with like a paperweight, nasty.
- 5 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbps sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 8 Tbsp butter chilled and cut into small cubes
- 1 1/2 C buttermilk
- 2 egg
- 1/3 C water
- preheat oven to 425
- combine the flour, salt, sugar and powder
- cut in the cold butter with pastry cutters or I use my pastry whips
- in another container mix the buttermilk, eggs and water
- pour over the dry ingredients and mix until combined (don't over mix though)
- place onto well floured surface and pat out (I don't say roll out cause it's hard to roll, it's so sticky, but I flour my hands and pat it out) to 3/4 of an inch thick
- use a cup or 2 1/2 inch round cutter to cut circles
- bake for 12-14 mins
- you can press the remaining dough together ONCE and cut a few more.
So the only question is… what do you top your biscuits with? I love sausage gravy, my kids love butter and jelly, but I’m looking for more options and would love some suggestions!
Latest posts by Ashlee Marie (see all)
- Homemade Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons – recipe video - January 19, 2020
- Red Velvet Cupcakes - January 16, 2020
- Creamy Chicken Penne Rustica Pasta Copycat Recipe and video - January 14, 2020