You guys know I like pretty food, right? So I just HAD to try Madeleines the first time I saw them! More cake like than cookie like, but small and bitesized? LOVE! I have tried many recipes over the years and some are terrific and some… fall flat. I really need to make and share more of my favorite recipes but for today we’ll start with these Brown Butter Madeleines.
Have you cooked with browned butter before? I know it seems odd, taking the extra step to brown your butter before you cook with it… but it is so worth it! It gives off a great nutty aroma and flavor and I love it. I really need to come up with a brown butter frosting as well, it would be delicious. Or a brown butter sugar cookie? Mmmm
- 3/4 cups butter softened
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 lrg eggs
- pinch sea salt
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Melt the 1 1/2 sticks of butter in a small pot over medium heat until it's brown and gives off a deliciously nutty aroma, roughly 20 minutes.
- Strain (using a paper towel over a mesh strainer) - you want to leave the solids behind.
- Cool the butter to room temperature.
- Beat the eggs and salt with a whisk attachment until it doubles or triples in size - approximately 3 minutes.
- Continuing to mix on high speed, slowly add the sugar in a steady stream. Whip for 2 minutes or until mixture is thick and ribbony.
- Sprinkle the flour on top of the egg batter, and gently fold in.
- Now fold in the butter mixture. Only stirring enough to bring everything together.
- Spoon the batter into the molds, bake the for 12 - 14 minutes (7-10 minutes for smaller cookies), or until the edges of the Madelaine's are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and un-mold immediately.
- Optional - dip one side in melted chocolate
Do NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a very small percentage.