You guys know I like pretty food, right? So I just HAD to try Madeleines the first time I saw them! More cake like than cookie like, but small and bitesized? LOVE! I have tried many recipes over the years and some are terrific and some… fall flat. I really need to make and share more of my favorite recipes but for today we’ll start with these Brown Butter Madeleines.
Have you cooked with browned butter before? I know it seems odd, taking the extra step to brown your butter before you cook with it… but it is so worth it! It gives off a great nutty aroma and flavor and I love it. I really need to come up with a brown butter frosting as well, it would be delicious. Or a brown butter sugar cookie? Mmmm
These brown butter madeleines have a wonderful nutty flavor from the brown butter and a wonderful crisp outer shell and soft cakey inside
- 3/4 cups butter softened
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 lrg eggs
- pinch sea salt
- 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Melt the 1 1/2 sticks of butter in a small pot over medium heat until it's brown and gives off a deliciously nutty aroma, roughly 20 minutes.
- Strain (using a paper towel over a mesh strainer) - you want to leave the solids behind.
- Cool the butter to room temperature.
- Beat the eggs and salt with a whisk attachment until it doubles or triples in size - approximately 3 minutes.
- Continuing to mix on high speed, slowly add the sugar in a steady stream. Whip for 2 minutes or until mixture is thick and ribbony.
- Sprinkle the flour on top of the egg batter, and gently fold in.
- Now fold in the butter mixture. Only stirring enough to bring everything together.
- Spoon the batter into the molds, bake the for 12 - 14 minutes (7-10 minutes for smaller cookies), or until the edges of the Madelaine's are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and un-mold immediately.
- Optional - dip one side in melted chocolate
Do not miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email