Yum Yum YUM! Can I say it again? YUMMY!!!!! I mean this mixes all my favorites together – bacon, cheese, potatoes, fried foods…. DANG GINA! But seriously I adore these. Homemade tater tots are SO easy to make and the best part is creating fun flavors for your tot’s! So adding BACON seemed too easy for a great bacon month recipe!
So I tried both baking and frying my bacon and at the end of the day they both turned out great so whichever method you prefer for not BURNING bacon is the one you should use. If anything the bacon could be slightly underdone, rather than burnt. And if you don’t love cheddar use whatever cheese you DO like and I will say the smaller you get the grated cheddar the happier your’ll be when molding the shapes.
Shaping them def took the longest time of them all but by the 4th batch in 2 days I got pretty quick at it – in fact I have a frozen batch in the freezer right now just waiting for a the next time I’m craving them! I can just fry a few on the stove top at a time to stop the crazy cravings!
Bacon and Cheese Homemade Tater Tots
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 6 oz cheese
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour or flour/cornstarch mixture
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Bake or boil the potatoes - NOT all the way, just until they are soft enough to cut but still have resistance
- Peel and let cool to room tempurature
- cook the bacon, drain and chop
- Grate the potato and cheese into a bowl
- add the flour, salt, pepper and chopped bacon
- stir until combined
- scoop out and shape into a classic tater tot shape
- freeze for 15 mins
- heat some oil to 360-375 degrees
- pull out the tot's and sprinkles lightly with flour (or flour cornstarch mixture)
- fry without over crowding, 3-4 mins until golden brown
Every time I’ve had extra baked potatoes in the past I made scones – NOW I’m going to have to rotate between scones and tater tots! I had NO idea they were so easy to make and easy to personalize. AND because it’s all about the bacon this month HERE are 10 more divine bacon recipes you have GOT to try out!
Bacon and Cheddar Homemade Tater Tots – HERE
French Onion & Bacon Dip from Around My Family Table
Bacon Bourbon Caramel Popcorn from Cooking in Stilettos
Cheesy Bacon Jalapeno Bread Sticks from A Dash of Sanity
Spinach & Bacon Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust from Bread Booze Bacon
Bourbon Bacon Chocolate Balls from A Simple Pantry
Coffee Maple Bacon from Nomageddon
Southern Bacon-Fried Cabbage from Love Bakes Good Cakes
Bacon Stout Risotto from Forking Up
Maple Bacon Monkey Muffins from It Is A Keeper
Dark Chocolate Caramel Brownies with Bacon Salt from Hey Grill, Hey