This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #Disney #VillainDescendants #CollectiveBias
Last Friday night Disney Channel aired their newest musical – “Descendants” – the story of what happens to the CHILDREN of the villains! I don’t know about you BUT the villains are pretty much my favorite character in most stories! They have drive, ambition, they tend to look a little different than the average Joe, and they don’t let anything get in their way. Other than the fact that they tend to do EVIL what’s not to admire? And let’s face it, being good can get SO boring.
SO how to villains raise their kids? To be kind? thoughtful? generous? OR to take over the world… Pretty much the world thing… But also independence, strong personalities and apparently singing and dancing… with an evil flair! You know me… any excuse for a family movie night AND for some fun decor and food!
First thing I did was watch all the youtube videos I could so I could get to know the characters before the show aired so I could plan what we were going to EAT! Then I read the book, seriously so cute, I love planning the food out! Love potion cookies, First date Jelly Donuts, Chalkboard cookies with edible chalk… Eeek! it was all so fun!
For decorations I decided to go with the BLUE from Auradon Prep’s colors and creating a “WELCOME” sign, just like the movie, I used the “kingthings calligraphica 2” font and printed them off at size 750, cut them out and glued them to a piece I cut from the blue tablecloth. I wanted our little villain guests to feel welcome too!
Mal – Maleficent’s daughter, has purple hair – LOVE – and is a bit of an artist, destructive graffiti artist that is… So use that as the inspiration for the cake (more about that in a few days). Evie – Evil Queen’s Daughter, get’s to use a cracked mirror shard, what’s left of the magic mirror, so I make edible mirror for her! Carlos – Cruella DeVille’s son, is scared of dogs but then ends up adopting one, so I had to go with Black and White puppy chow and Jay – Jafar’s son, the thief and the athlete – ends up joining the team and loving it, so Victory Pizza was an easy choice and one all our party guests could agree on!
Double Chocolate Walnut Cookies
- 8 oz chocolate chopped (mix bittersweet and semi sweet)
- 4 Tbsp butter cut into chunks
- 2/3 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C packed light brown sugar
- 2 lrg eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 C chocolate chips
- 1 C walnuts chopped
- 1 tear of human sadness optional - but necessary for the love spell to work
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter and chocolate, stir until smooth
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy
- Reduce speed to low and slowly add the melted chocolate mixture. Beat to combine. Add the flour mixture, mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips, nuts and tear.
- Allow dough to firm up for 10 minutes before baking.
- Drop dough by tablespoons onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 11-14 minutes or until tops are shiny, center is soft but edges are set. Do NOT overbake. Allow to cool on sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to rack to cool completely.
While I say the teardrop is optional if you’ve watched the movie you’ll see just how important that ingredient is to make this powerful love potion! Of course if you AREN’T wicked and DON’T want to use these as a love spell they ARE delicious without the tear of sadness… Just sayin..
Since we don’t have the Disney Channel I ran to Walmart in the morning and grabbed both the movie and soundtrack (knowing the kids would love the music) set up a LIFE SIZE screen, using our huge blank wall and a projector (seriously I love using a projector for family movie night!). My teenager (SERIOUSLY, when did I get so OLD) invited a bunch of her friends over and they all sat around eating food and enjoying the movie (then afterwards sat around TALKING about the movie)
SO have you watched the movie yet? What was your favorite song? Evil touch? Favorite Villain? If you follow me on Instagram you can see all the videos the kiddo’s have been making singing along to the songs! Baby Boy loves “Evil like me” and has been carrying a “staff” (stick) for days singing and dancing.
More Descendants party and food posts
[riview showtitle=always tags=descendants size=150x150 lightbox=0]