My Grandma grew up in Mexico, so we consider all the Mexican food we make to be authentic. So growing up with these I never knew why I didn’t see stacked enchiladas at Mexican restaurants I’d go to. I’ve now learned that all Mexican food is not created equal and it depends on what PART of Mexico you go to!
So here is the “authentic” stacked enchiladas I grew up with! They are a quick and easy meal to make, AND if you leave the egg off it’s one of the only vegetarian dishes I make (so it’s one of my husbands favorites since he doesn’t LOVE meat like I do). But I love the sunny side up fried egg on top. It just add’s something to it.
- Lrg can of crushed tomatoes
- Lrg can tomato juice
- 1 C hot water
- 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Corn tortillas
- Frying oil
- Cheddar Cheese grated
- Onion chopped (optional)
- Fried egg
- Heat the oil medium high.
- While that's heating put the tomatoes and the juice in a large pot and bring to almost boil (you don't want to boil tomatoes, so just be careful).
- While the tomatoes are heating add flour (1 tsp. at a time) to the hot water (not boiling, just hot) till a thick paste (but no chunks).
- Add chili powder and salt, then pour SLOWLY into tomatoes, stirring while you go.
- In the oil cook tortilla (one at a time), turning half way, until cruchy.
- Then dip into tomato mixture scoop out and place on your plate.
- Layer the tortillas, cheese and onions on plates.
- Top with fried egg up if desired
My husband I like to stack ours about 4 – 5 tortilla’s high, but the kids each only eat about 2. But lately Lego Boy and Computer boy have been asking for seconds, so next time they’ll each get 3! Is it funny that giving my kids an extra enchilada is like a milestone for me?
What are you favorite foods you grew up with? Or ones that have huge memories for you? I don’t make a lot of the same dishes I grew up with, but the ones I held on to are always fun to make!Do NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Ashlee Marie when you shop!