I talk a lot of about my favorite flavors; Chocolate, citrus, coconut, caramel and PEANUT BUTTER! I seriously can’t get enough of these 5 flavors and of course Ice cream is one of my favorite food groups so I am SO excited to share one of my favorite ice cream recipes with you guys. I was going to wait until a more Ice Cream “appropriate” month, like July… but when I realized it was National Peanut Butter day I had to go for it (and I make Ice Cream year round, maybe some of you do as well)
This is a custard based recipe which means CREAMY!!!! My daughter loves it as much as I do and we love making this one together. In fact last time we made a double batch, she threw some of my berry Coulis on top and we called it PB&J ice cream. Personally I like it all by itself, but if I was going to add to it I’d rather have on top of my Chocolate Brownies with some Hot Fudge.
- 3/4 C granulated sugar
- 2 Lrg eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 C milk
- 3/4 C creamy peanut butter (chunky will get stuck in the machine)
- 2 C heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Beat the sugar, eggs and egg yolks until they are thick and pale yellow
- In a saucepan bring the milk to a simmer
- Slowly beat the milk into the eggs (don't just pour it it will cook the eggs)
- Pour the entire mixture back into the saucepan and place over LOW heat
- Stir constantly until the custard thickens (be careful not to scramble the eggs)
- Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter
- Pour through a strainer into a bowl and stir in the cream and vanilla
- Refrigerate overnight until cold.
- Run through your ice cream machine according to your machine's directions
- You can eat it when done, or freeze at least 2 hours for firmer ice cream (my preference)
Today is national peanut butter day! I love food holidays and invited nine AMAZING local Food bloggers to all celebrate one national food holiday with me every month! I think peanut butter was an almost unanimous vote and I hope you click over and enjoy these other amazing peanut butter recipes! Follow the hashtag #celebratingfood to follow along each month on Instagram!
Celebrating Food Bloggers!
Copycat Jamba Juice Chocolate Peanut Butter Moo’d Smoothie
Peanut Butter Cup Brownies with Peanut Butter Frosting
Chocolate Peanut Butter Dip
Peanut Butter Ice Cream (your right here!)
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Energy Bites
Chocolate Peanut Butter Poke Cake
Peanut Butter Chocolate Pretzel Bars
Peanut Butter “Cheese” Ball