I LOVE spinach artichoke dip. I always used to order it when I was out for a meal. It’s just SO amazing (and one of the only edible ways to eat spinach IMO.)
It’s probably the food I missed the VERY most when we were living in Japan. SO I decided to figure out how to make it. I started by trying a bunch of recipes online. Then mixing some together, then playing around with techniques. not every one was very good, some were down right bad. BUT it was totally worth it!
I think we made this every month when we finally decided we had the perfect recipe. Since we had a hard time getting some ingredients in Japan (cheese) we had to travel to a few different grocery stores to get everything we needed. And in the end we never did find chips!
SO we learned to make our own tortillas to go with them. I have been craving homemade tortillas lately, I need to make some and share the recipe with you guys!
I also like to serve it with homemade salsa and sour cream, but it’s amazing on it’s own! It’s even good cold. I will warn you not to overcook it. It does something to the spinach, and it’s really unappetizing.
And I will also repeat endlessly, SQUEEZE the spinach after you rinse it, get as much as the spinach juice out that you can. My husband hates watching this part, says I’m getting rid of all the good stuff, but the one time I didn’t squeeze the HECK out of it NO ONE ate it, it was swimming in spinach juice, and wasn’t very good.
- 1/4 C butter
- 2 bunches green onion, chopped (about 1/3 C)
- 10 oz bag fresh spinach
- 14 oz can artichoke hearts (marinated in oil not water)
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 C sour cream
- 1/2 C Mayonnaise
- 1 C+ freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Saute the butter and green onions until cooked through.
- Rinse your spinach then SQUEEZE it, drain everything you can out of it.
- This part is key otherwise your dip will be runny and the dip will taste wrong.
- After you SQUEEZE the life out of the spinach chop it up really good.
- Drain your artichoke hearts, but don't rinse them.
- Now chop them up, getting rid of any outside leafs/petals(?) that are still hard.
- In a mixer add the garlic, cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, Parmesan and Tabasco and mix.
- Add the onions and butter, spinach and artichoke hearts and mix again.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste
- spread the dip into a 9×13 glass casserole pan and cover with foil (also place on a cookie sheet just in case it spills over when it starts to bubble) Cook it in the oven for 30-40 mins until bubbly! The outside cooks faster than the center, so I like to stir it at about 20 mins, re-cover and place it back in oven for the rest of the time!
- I serve mine with homemade salsa, chips, tortillas
So if you lived in a foreign land what would be the food you’d miss the most? I should really share all the foods we craved when we lived over there that i learned how to make from scratch! I have SO many favorites!Do NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Ashlee Marie when you shop!