Coming up with a party food for Snow White was easy, apples. But do I do sliced apples with my fruit dip? That’s not very sinister… So I decided to try something new! Toffee apples AKA Candied apples. Add a little (or a lot) of black food dye and you have a pretty awesome visual!
I had some bubbles in my sugar coating, from stirring the dye in and not keeping it on the heat (so I had to work quickly) but I kind of like the way the bubbles made it look!
You can get rid of the bubbles by not stirring so much (keeping it on low heat helps so you don’t have to work quite so fast, you can let the bubbles settle) and taking a brulee torch to the bubbles, before the candy sets, to bring the bubble to the surface and pop it (or so I’ve been told, I obviously didn’t do that)
- combine water, sugar, syrup in a saucepan over med heat
- when the sugar has dissolved turn heat up, and simmer
- Heat to hard crack stage 310°F (I turn it to low when it hits 300°)
- Turn the heat to low (take off the heat awhile if you need to)
- stir in flavoring and add black gel
- dip the apples, letting the excess drip off for just a bit
- place onto a pan with a silpat mat or parchment paper
- let cool 1 hour