I love spicy food’s. Indian is my first choice, but I also love Cajun! As a family we all love Gumbo, but my husband and I love Jambalaya! I also like easy to make meals, and this one certainly is! It doesn’t get much easier than using a rice cooker for a meal, and the clean up is a breeze!
Seriously the spicier the better for me, BUT the kiddo’s and husband prefer it to be a little LESS spicy, so if you aren’t a HUGE fan of spicy food just cut the spices back. Especially the cayenne pepper. For non spicy lovers just cut all the spices in half and they’ll be much happier.
- 1 stick butter
- 1 Lrg onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 link sausage sliced
- 2 1/2 C uncooked short grain rice (We like Japanese rice)
- 4 C chicken broth
- 2 tsp Cajun Seasoning
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 14.5 oz cans stewed tomatoes (if it's too spicy for you use cans of diced tomatoes instead)
- sauteed chicken (options)
- Place the butter and veggies in the rice cooker and press cook!
- After about 10 mins the butter will be melted and the onions will start to turn opaque.
- This is when I add the sliced sausage and let it cook another 5-10 mins.
- Here comes the super easy part... add everything else! Stir and restart the rice cooker!
- When the timer goes off stir the Jambalaya, close the lid and let it sit another 10 mins!
- IF you want chicken in your Jambalaya then saute it and add it here, stir it in and let it sit with the rest for the last 10 mins.
All the veggies will come to the top during cooking so make sure you stir it VERY well before serving. If you want to add chicken or shrimp I’d saute them separately and stir them in when it’s done cooking. ALSO I usually leave my cooked rice in the rice cooker on warm while I enjoy leftovers, BUT for this dish I don’t recommend it, the sausage will turn brown (and unappealing) and the rice will get mushy.Do NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Ashlee Marie when you shop!