I am a total meat and potatoes girl, while my husband is a veggie and salad guy. As in he doesn’t like Steak and I LOVE steak. So I don’t usually make heavy meat based meals. On the SUPER rare occasions when we go out to eat I like to go places where I can get a good steak.
But it’s not always economical to get an amazing steak. SO I decided during my last pregnancy (I’m anemic when pregnant and eat a LOT of meat) to learn how to make a GREAT steak. I’ve tried EVERY recipe I’ve been able to find and this is the BEST one!
- 1 1/2 inch thick Filet - room temp
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- heat an oven safe pan (I prefer cast iron) on the stove top with oil.
- when it's nice and hot sprinkle some salt and pepper in the pan and add the filet.
- Don't move it, cook for 2 1/2 mins.
- Then, using tongs, flip the filet and cook for another 2 1/2 mins.
- Flip the filet again and put the whole pan in the oven.
- Bake for 4-10 mins depending on if you want it rare (4), medium rare (my choice- 5 mins), medium (6), medium well (8) and well (10). I use the finger test or you could use a thermometer
- I like to flip it once during the cook time.
- Once it's done pull it out, wrap it in foil and let it sit for 5 mins.
I like to serve mine with baked potatoes and a homemade roll. If I’m serving my family as well? Then I add a salad!Do NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Ashlee Marie when you shop!