I grew up with dinner Jell-O (or commonly referred to as Jell-O salad). I didn’t know it was a strange thing until I grew up! Of course now I live in UT where it’s a “little” more common.
Jell-O Salad’s aren’t salad, but they aren’t dessert either… They are a delicious light treat, that my kids love and ask for all the time. My Brother in Law fell in love with this recipe when he married my sister and he can finish off an entire pan himself! I enjoy eating pieces of it the next day for treats though out the day, breakfast, lunch dinner
Lime Dinner Jell-O
8oz cream cheese
Lrg can of pears (or two small cans)
1/2 C water
Lrg lime Jell-O packet
8 oz Cool Whip or stabilized Whipped Cream
Open the Pear cans and drain the juice into a microwave safe container. Boil pear juice in microwave (2-3 mins). Add Jell-O mix, and stir till dissolved
Add 1/2 C water (I add 1/2 C in ice cups) let cool.
Put the cream cheese and pears in the blender
Add the cooled jell-o/juice
blend it until its smooth
pour into glass pan (9*13).
Now grab your Cool Whip or whipped cream, and give it a good stir.
plop on the cream in blobs onto the jell-O mixture
Stir in the cream as much or as little as you like. It’s kind of fun getting a chunk of the cool whip/cream in your serving, as a child we all felt like a winner if we got the biggest blog! I’ll often stir in the full 8 oz smooth, then add extra whipped cream for small chunks!
Let set in fridge overnight! And serve!
We serve them in squares, and as children my sisters and I couldn’t just eat them, we’d use our forks to cut away jell-o to create shapes! My favorite was always a house… As a mom I watch my kids do the same thing- it’s the one time it’s okay to play with their food!
So did you grow up with Dinner Jell-O Salad? Never tried it? Will you?
- 8oz cream cheese
- Lrg can of pears (or two small cans)
- 1/2 C water
- Lrg lime Jell-O packet
- 8 oz Cool Whip or fresh whipped cream
- Open the Pear cans and drain the juice into a microwave safe container.
- Boil pear juice in microwave (2-3 mins).
- Add Jell-O mix, and stir till dissolved, add 1/2 C water (I add 1/2 C in ice cups) let cool.
- Put the cream cheese and pears in the blender.
- Add the cooled jell-o/juice and blend it until its smooth than pour into glass pan (9*13).
- plop on the whipped cream in blobs onto the jell-O mixture.
- Stir in the cool whip/whipped cream as much or as little as you like.
- Let set in fridge until set, a few hours or overnight!