I’ve been making my own homemade peeps for 8 years now! They are so so SO easy and seriously SO DELICIOUS! This is the classic recipe but I’ve even made my own chocolate peeps too (maybe I’ll share those next). These little guys are only 4 ingredients and just take a little time and voila, the most delicious peeps you will ever have!
you can just buy the colored sugar for the peeps, OR you can easily make your own. I wanted UBER bright and to get such a large amount of colored sugar can be expensive so it was simply easier (and cheaper) to make my own. PLUS just thing of all the fun you can have creating some pretty awesome shades of sugar to personalize your peeps!
The two biggest tips for this. 1. let the mixture COOL enough, the whip it to the right texture. it’s easy to try to hurry it along, but you’ll get a much fluffier and airy marshmallow by giving it the time to cool down enough. and 2. letting the whipped marshmallow “set” a bit before piping the body of the peeps, to give it more strength and thickness.
- yellow gel
- 3 Tbsp powder gelatin
- 1/3 C cold water
- 3 C sugar
- 1 1/2 C water
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- black gel food dye
- Pour sugar into a food processor
- Add a few drops of the yellow, grind until sugar is bright yellow, but not so much it turns into a powder
- spread sugar across a cookie sheet on parchment paper and place in an oven on low, keep stirring the sugar, you just want to dry it out a bit (the gel dye can make it too wet)
- Soak the gelatin in the 1/3 of a cup of cold water in a small bowl and set aside to swell for 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan dissolve the sugar in the 1 1/2 C of water over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Add the swollen gelatin and dissolve.
- Raise the temperature and bring to a boil.
- Boil steadily, but not vigorously, for 15 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool until lukewarm.
- Pour into a bowl, or mixer and add the vanilla and beat the mixture until very thick and white.
- Spray a 9x13 pan (or 9x9 inch pan for taller marshmallows) with bakers joy and let set
- Cut into squares and dust with a mixture of cornstarch and icing sugar.
EASY PEASY, right? Seriously it might take a few tries, I mean some of mine are pretty droopy too… pipe a bunch of the bottom ovals, then when your ready to make the bodies pipe one, then if it’s too droopy just wait 5-10 mins and try again!
For the eyes you can either use melted chocolate or just use a toothpick or paintbrush to dab on some black gel food coloring.
AND it’s that time again, 12 amazingly creative food bloggers sharing some homemade and super fun Easter treats for you! click over and and check every recipe out, this is some seriously cute Easter going on! I can’t wait to try some of these myself!
Homemade Peeps recipe and video tutorial – HERE
Pistachio Salad Easter Peeps Dessert Cups from Mom Endeavors
Easter Bunny Crispy Treats from See Vanessa Craft
Mini NoBake Carrot Cake Cheesecakes from A Night Owl Blog
Cream Egg Cracker Toffee from Spaceships and Laserbeams
Bunny Bait from Kitchen Fun with My 3 Sons
Carrot Cake Cupcakes from Mommy Hates Cooking
Mini Bunny Cakes from Happiness is Homemade
Strawberries & Cream Salad Shooters from Play Party Plan
Easy JELLO Peeps Cake from Strawberry Mommycakes
Easter Bunny Bread Bowls from The Idea Room
Chick Cookies from Two Twenty One