We love making Gingerbread houses every year with our Cousins. It’s been a tradition for over 6 years at this point. The kids look forward to it every year. I keep a box of old candy, some of the candy is from the FIRST year (I bought too much and we’re still using it). We also add to the collection every year too (any suggestions on good gingerbread house candy?)
I’m super SUPER excited about this video! It’s my FIRST youtube collaboration, it’s a pretty big deal for me and I can’t WAIT to do more collaborations. Rebecca from Pins and Things came up to my kitchen to spend the day baking and decorating these gingerbread houses. A girls day, it was a BALL. I’d LOVE to hear who you’d like to see me collaborate with next!
- 1 C brown sugar
- 1/3 C shortening
- 1 ½ C Molasses
- 2/3 C Cold Water
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Allspice
- 1 tsp Ginger
- 1 tsp Ground cloves
- 7 C Flour
- 1 lbs powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp Meringue Powder
- 6 Tbsp warm water
- In a mixer with whisks mix sugar, shortening and molasses until smooth.
- While mixing on low ad the cold water
- Add half the flour and spices and beat until smooth, should look like peanut butter
- Switch to a dough hook or cookie paddles and add the rest of the flour, and mix until the dough cleans the bowl
- Divide into quarters and wrap in wax paper, refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight
- preheat oven to 350
- Roll out and use the template to cut the house shapes
- Bake for 10-12 mins, let cool
- in a grease free bowl stir the Powdered sugar and the meringue
- powder together
- add the warm water beat on high for 6-8 mins in a stand mixer,
- -12 mins with a hand mixer
And there you have it! simple and super fun! It doesn’t get much better and who doesn’t love it! I think the adults have as much fun, if not more, than the kids most years!
Usually I just pipe onto my houses, no candy, so this was super fun to just go kinda crazy for the video. Over the years we usually make the mini “elf” houses (Gingerbread “elf” house template here) but two years ago we made this one HUGE gingerbread house that we all decorated together. It was a super fun change! BUT I think the kiddo’s like having their own mini houses better.
SO what traditions do YOU have over the holidays with family. This Cousin Christmas is one of our favorite days of the year. We decorate houses and we make TAMALES!Do NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Ashlee Marie when you shop!