I love the holidays! Not only do I get to spend a ton of time in the kitchen baking and cooking delicious meals and treat, but I also get to spend a ton of time entertaining. I love being surrounded by loved ones, family and friends, and I love hosting and making amazing food for them to enjoy! The best news ever? We just bought a house and we’re moving over the holidays! A house with a HUGE kitchen, dining room and living room for tons of gatherings. We’ll be hosting a party as soon as we’re moved in and I can’t wait to make a huge batch of this soup to warm everyone up!
I love love LOVE turkey. I made 5 turkey’s last year in total and I expect to do it again this year, I’m already two down for the season. So I love recipes that use turkey in them. And we are HUGE soup fans. Every year for Christmas Eve my husband’s aunt does a huge Soup and Pie Christmas eve party. I can’t wait to take this Turkey and Wild Rice Soup one to serve to everyone, my husband says it’s my best soup ever, so I’m sure his family will love it.
You can saute the veggies in oil if you prefer, but I love the flavor of sauteing them in butter. Start with the stronger vegetables, the carrots, onions, shallots (and celery if you want, but I’m not a fan). Once those are sauteed and clear (well the onions) then add the softer mushrooms and garlic. Saute until fragrant, about 5 mins.
Now add the flour, it will thicken the soup. Add the half and half, salt and bay leaves and let all those flavors simmer together. Now we need to add some warm stock, I just keep it heated in a pot next to me. You can either make your own turkey stock to add, OR use store bought stock, I like the chicken or vegetable for this soup. Once you have that heated up add the wild rice, put on a lid and let it cook until the rice is done.
Finish off by adding the shredded turkey (I prefer to use mostly dark meat for this). And finally add more salt and flavor (make sure to taste before adding, you don’t want to go too salty, just enhance the flavors). Add some homemade rolls and your ready to go! I usually double this recipe for a party, but it also works great for a smaller group as well!
- 3/4 C butter
- 1 Lrg onion diced
- 2 shallots diced
- 1/2 C carrots diced
- 8-10 oz mushrooms diced
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 3/4 C flour
- 2 C half and half
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 Tbs fresh thyme chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 8 C Turkey stock (Chicken or Vegetable stock works great too)
- 8 oz wild rice
- 3-5 C cooked turkey shredded (darker meat is my favorite)
- Salt and pepper for flavor
- In a large stock pot melt the butter on Med.
- Add the onions, carrots and shallots and cook about 10 mins, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 5 mins more.
- Add the flour and cook to a paste
- Add the half and half, bay leafs and thyme, turn the heat up to med/high and bring soup to a boil
- Add the warm stock one ladle-full at a time (I keep it simmering in a saucepan next to the stock pot) until your happy with the consistency/
- Turn heat down to medium and let simmer 30 mins.
- Add the wild rice, cover and let simmer for 35 mins
- Add the turkey, salt and pepper and cook 20 mins more.
What do you like to serve when your entertaining guests for the holidays? Treats are fun and all, but something hearty and filling win’s my vote every time! I can’t wait to bring this to our Christmas eve Party, what would you bring?
Do NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Ashlee Marie when you shop!