This is a family recipe I grew up with. One of those special breakfasts that we had for birthday’s, when guests came, mothers day, etc… Thankfully my kids like it as much as I do. The updated video was taken when my 12yo requested to make them with me for his birthday breakfast this year!
I like to serve corn fritters with butter, homemade maple syrup and sausage or bacon! SOME people have mentioned they think I’m crazy to add extra butter after it’s been fried, but you can NEVER have enough butter. Am I right?
Warning – don’t over mix after you add the egg whites – after a proper folding job you should still have some spots of the egg whites vs being perfectly incorporated. That will give you the right fluffy texture.
The right temperature is key for the perfect golden color, also having your oil deep enough so you don’t get flat fritters (but not so full that it over flows when you add all the batter). Next the cooking time, you don’t want a raw center, but you also don’t want to burn/over cook. It takes practice. Don’t be afraid to pull some out and cut them open to see how it’s going!
Finally drain them so they aren’t super oily! I put newspaper and paper towels in a jelly roll pan with a cooling rack on top.
- 1 C sifted flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 Can whole kernel corn drained
- 1/4 C corn juice (saved when you drain the corn)
- oil for frying
- Heat oil in a skillet to pancake temperature (325 F)
- In the Mixer Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and paprika.
- In a blender blend egg yolks 1 C corn and corn juice.
- Add the blended corn and the rest of the kernel corn to the dry ingredients and mix it together.
- Beat the egg whites till they form stiff peaks.
- Then fold into batter with a spatula, or I use my cookie paddles (pulsing to fold).
- Drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the hot oil and fry until golden brown, then using tongs flip over and fry on the other side.
- Don't over cook.
- Place on newspaper/paper towels while making the rest to drain the oil
- Serve with butter and syrup!
SO the best part about this video? It was my son’s birthday and this is what he requested for breakfast – BUT he wanted to make them himself AND he wanted me to film it! It was so much fun making and filming these together on his special day!.
And your done! What would you serve yours with? What other fritters, or fried foods do you enjoy?
Do NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Ashlee Marie when you shop!