I love oatmeal! It’s one of my favorite breakfasts. My family makes something we call Oat-ole (that I’ll share one of these days, when I finally get a good picture of it, do you KNOW how hard it is to take a pretty picture of a bowl of tan mush?). My favorite chocolate chip cookies are made with ground oatmeal. AND it’s especially good with CHOCOLATE, Mmmmmm!
These oatmeal bars are a family favorite at our house, I’ll make a pan and it’s gone in a day. I usually cut them even smaller than this so that my kids and husband take all day to eat them, not a few hours. This is a great dessert to make for a platter to take to a party or other gathering cause they stack easily aren’t too messy and taste great!
- 1 C butter softened
- 2 C brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 C oats
- 2 1/2 C flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 12 oz chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C chopped pecans
- preheat the oven to 350
- in your mixer beat the butter and brown sugar.
- Add the eggs and mix.
- then add the oats, flour, salt, soda and vanilla and mix completely.
- Press 2/3rds of the dough into the bottom of a large jelly roll pan (11x17 pan)
- In a saucepan melt the sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips and butter.
- Once it's melted add the vanilla, salt and pecans then pour over the flattened dough.
- Take the last 1/3rd of the dough and sprinkle it over the chocolate (or I press small section of it flat in my fingers then lay it onto the chocolate)
- Bake 20-25 mins until the top starts to turn golden
This is a year round treat for me, a great treat I can make last min because we always have the ingredients around. The kids love helping pat the dough into the pan too, so it can be a fun family activity too! Do you have a favorite treat you enjoy making with your family? Or a great recipe you make year round (so many treats have a seasonal feel)?Do NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting Ashlee Marie when you shop!