I love caramel, but not all caramels are created equal. My sister made these for me a few years ago (she makes them for neighbor gifts every year) and I about died. Seriously the best, most buttery caramels I’ve ever eaten in my life. So after a few years of just enjoying her’s I decided to ask for the recipe and make them myself.
I wish a picture really captured how soft and smooth these caramels are. I will say, you HAVE to make sure your candy thermometer is working, mine was clearly broken for my last batch cause it came out rock hard, I should have pulled it off the stove earlier, thankfully I had all the ingredients around for another batch!
- 1 1/2 C butter
- 1 1/2 lbs brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 C Karo light corn syrup
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- In a large saucepan dissolve the brown sugar and salt in the butter over medium heat.
- Add the Karo syrup and mix
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk in and stir.
- Boil the mixture over medium heat until it hits 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer (remember candy temperatures are listed as sea level degree's so adjust according to your altitude - for example I lower all temperatures by 20 degrees F because I live so high up)
- Add the vanilla and stir
- Pour into a prepared large jelly roll pan (sprayed with baking spray) and let it set
- Cut with a knife also sprayed with baking spray
To cut the caramels once they set pop the caramels out of the pan (cause you used a baking spray, parchment paper or a silpat mat in the pan so you can get them out easy). Then use a very sharp knife and coat it with baking spray, then cut them into long caramel tubes and wrap them in wax paper! (or cut them smaller, but honestly I don’t want to wrap small pieces).
What’s your favorite Christmas treats or goodies to make every year? One of my favorites for neighbor gifts is caramel popcorn balls! Everyone loves them and they are super easy to make!
Neighbor gifts and goodie plate recipes