Everyone needs a good basic chocolate ice cream recipe! It’s great alone but because it’s not super rich and heavy there is so much you can do with it, so many mix in’s, toppings, etc… Seriously the possibilities are endless, Rocky Road, Chocolate brownie, S’more and more!
Because it’s custard based it’s super creamy. I know a lot of people are scared of custard based ice cream, but I promise it’s easier than you think. This is one of those recipes that I always have the ingredients on hand for so if I’m in a sweet mood I can easily get it ready during the day for a sweet treat that night! And then add whatever candy I have on hand and create something new (or make up some peanut butter sauce, Mmmm chocolate and peanut butter are a favorite of mine)!
This uses cocoa rather than chocolate so if, heaven forbid, I have run out of chocolate (I have a 12 gallon bucket that I keep stocked with different chocolates so not likely) I can still have a chocolate treat with this. I like to mix both dark cocoa and regular cocoa (but you know I love to mix chocolates for a better flavor) and I LOVE the end result!
- In a food processor blend the sugar, eggs, yolks, and cocoa's until it's smooth (if you don't have one you can use the blender or a hand mixer, but the food processor will be the smoothest/easiest)
- In a sauce pan bring the milk to a simmer
- While the food processor is running slowly pour the milk into the mixture.
- Pour the entire mixture back into the sauce pan and cook over low heat, STIRRING CONSTANTLY, until it thickens slightly (don't let it boil)
- Allow it to cool slightly then strain the custard into a bowl.
- Add the cream and the vanilla
- Stir well and refrigerate overnight (or 4-6 hours).
- Stir it well then run it through your ice cream machine according to the directions, about 30 mins
- Serve immediately for soft ice cream and freeze a few hours for firmer ice cream.
More Ice Cream Recipes