I’ve always loved almond poppy seed – never really got into the whole lemon poppy seed thing – even though I adore lemon too! The Almond is my mom’s favorite so that’s probably why… Anyway I also love almond cake period! so when I signed up to bring a bundt cake to a church event I figured it was time to make a twist on a favorite cake of mine!
This recipe could easily be a quick bread, or muffin too – but I just love using it as a light cake – but since it CAN stand along without a ton of filling like some cake it makes a GREAT bundt cake. Personally I still don’t “get” the whole bundt thing… but since that’s the dessert they asked for that’s what they are gonna get from me!
So how to TOP a bundt cake – a glaze? SURE! like this coconut bundt cake a glaze would work out GREAT – BUT that cake is super rick and this is pretty light and spongy – SO I figured we go for the FROSTING side of bundt cakes – and not just a sweet frosting, but a rich one – CREAM CHEESE! awwww yeah! Creamy, great flavor, easy to make and pairs beautifully with this cake.
- 3 eggs
- 2 C sugar
- 3 C flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 Tbsp almond extract
- 1 tsp butter emulsion
- 1 1/2 C Milk
- 1 C olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Tbsp clear vanilla
- 2 1/2 C Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp heavy cream (depending on how soft you want your frosting)
- preheat oven to 350
- hand whisk the eggs and sugar
- add the flour, baking powder and salt and beat
- add the vanilla, almond extract, butter emulsion, milk and oil and beat until smooth
- add the poppy seeds and fold in
- pour into a well greased (I like bakers joy) bundt pan and bake at 350 for 40-50 mins
- invert pan and let cool on cooling rack - you can frost warm and the frosting will get soft and drippy and make a mess but also soak in a little - or let it cook so the frosting stays on top - I picked the middle - I frosted while it was still warm, but not hot
- beat the cream cheese, butter and clear vanilla together until fluffy
- add the powdered sugar and beat until smooth and slightly thick
- add the heavy cream - a tsp at a time and beat until the desired consistency is achieved
- frost the cake and enjoy!
So there you have it! easy peasy cake – what’s YOUR favorite bundt cake flavor – when do you go for a bundt vs a layered cake?
Do NOT miss a single post. Subscribe to weekly recaps for Ashlee Marie by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a very small percentage.